Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!!

Well, I am currently awaiting the delivery of my new subwoooofer. ETA is in 2 more weeks, so I am getting pretty excited now.

Mark is a wonderfull guy to deal with and I would just like to give a nod in his general direction for the professionalism he has shown in handling my International order without delay.

I am in the process of the required "Mulling over" of the required sonotube enclosure.

I would appreciate some help and guidance if possible gents.

I am looking at a tube that is 60cm in diameter (all metric stuff here sorry) and already have a 20cm tube for the port.

I have the sonosub.exe program and have the required space (behind my AT screen... another thread for that one! haha)

Would it be possible for someone to help me out and and plot the freq. response of the sub in this size enclosure, and give me a heads up on things i should watch out for.... Please.

Mike.p if you come accross this thread , i'd just like to say that your various Mach5 subs are great!! :bigsmile:

The room in which this subwoofer will be going is 17 feet long by 9 foot 8 inches wide, with 7 foot 6 inch ceilings.

I have also purchased a feedback destroyer 1124 flavour.
I am also treating the room with OC products (my other thread):nerd:

Please can you also let me know what the expected "room gain" would be for a room this size?

All the very best,
Andrew.:daydream:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mike,
Thanks for dropping by here.

I am thinking on the lines of 12 cuft tuned to 15hz.

I have read that I wont need a Filter with this type of LLT or EBS design.

Power is not something that I am short on I have several big pro-amps. This is 100% for HT use and I am looking for maximum extention and Headroom.

I need the sub to respond from 80hz down, I am sure it is a very capable sub for the money.. cant go wrong in my opinion (based on what I have read). Subwoofers that I am very familiar with are the Mirage bps-400 and the Mirage bpss-210 (the latter which was a servo model IIRC). How do the LLT or EBS designs stack up in terms of accuracy and linearity? Obviously they have more sheer GRUNT but I would just like to get your opinion on where they are with regards to the former?

And I know its a shot in the dark but maybe you have heard the afforementioned subs (being from Canada yourself)?

All the best,
Andrew

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Mike!

Thanks for the Graph , I am unsure how to interprate it though :sob: , dont know if its good or not...

The port would be on the top and the driver on the bottom as far as I understand.

I really appreciate your help Mike, once again thank you very much.

I will keep you posted on the arrival of my sub!
All the best
Andrew

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
The graph is very good. I have two of these in my basement and can verify that they are excellent subs.

There might be an issue of not enough clearance between the end of the port and the back of the sub. For a net volume of 12 cu.ft. you need an internal volume of 13.2 cu.ft. to allow for the displacement of the port and the driver. Using a 60 cm tube, it would need to be 140 cm between the end plates to achieve this volume. A 20 cm diameter port would need to be 108 cm long for a 15 hz tune. Subtract the height of the sub and the distance between th sub and end of the port is about 7 cm.

The easiest solution would be use a 15 cm diameter port. It would need to be 58 cm long for a 15 hz tune and still be big enough that airspeed and port compression are not an issue.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Mike,

WOW man I cannot thank you enough.

I shall avail myself with some 15cm tube from Homedepot then! :nerd:

Also will 6" legs on the thing be enough for the driver to breath ?

Any tips on cutting the big tube? I was thinking maybe a Jigsaw and lots of patience?

All the best,
Andrew.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Mike,

Great link, given me exact information that I needed, brilliant.

Thanks again!
all the best
Andrew

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Andrew,
I would put some kind of rumble filter in your system for the stuff below about 13-15hz. There is usually quite a bit of electronics roll off below 10hz that helps, but I wouldn't count on that alone to protect the driver.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hi Ricci,
Thank you for the reply, I will look very carefully into a high pass x-over as you state dont want to destroy the driver with over excursion.

Could you let me know how I would build one from parts, as I dont seem to be able to find x-overs at for example 12db/octave at 15hz???

regards
Andrew

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OOO,

that looks nice guys!!

Could i buy 2 of these and also use one for my buttkicker shaker thing??

not bad price on these,
all the best
Andrew

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Mike,

What I meant was could I use the B-1 to stop the buttkicker getting frequencies above 40hz?

I find it very distracting while watching movies and the shakers going bad for leather with dialogue!

regards
Andrew

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Tenzip,

Yes sir it is connected directly to the LFE channel, come to think about it I have just rechecked and the movie in question was Batman begins, which IIRC uses the LFE channel for effects on Batmans voice??

I am laughing at my own stupidity now....

sorry gents,
Andrew

1 - 18 of 18 Posts