Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I axed my idea (due to the help of people on this site.... thank you!!) of using two image dynamics subs for my HT setup. I am now leaning towards a single 18 or possibly 2 subs. I have at least 15cu ft per sub for a pair or I could probably go 20+cu ft for a single 18. Any idea on how these drivers compare in quality, SQ etc? Maelstrom 18 ($362) vs Soundsplinter RL-P18 ($420)

I am not sure which amp to power the speaker, leaning towards a company I have never heard of. They are making class D amps & the one I would consider is 1000-1100 watts. Seymour AV Iceblock 10001 is what I am considering.... waiting to read more reviews before I think more seriously about getting one.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
You have picked out two very good drivers... both are excellent, so you might want to get one of each... or for that matter, if you are looking at the Iceblock 10001, you can afford a pair of each. :spend:

Those are very nice looking amps, but wow they are expenssssssive. :spend: :spend: :spend:

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
I have the RL-P 18 and I am very happy with them. My advise is to use as much as 2000 W/driver to retrieve all their capabilities

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those are very nice looking amps, but wow they are expenssssssive. :spend: :spend: :spend:
I thought $1300 ish for 1000+Watts was cheap! At least cheap compared to something like Bryston's used stuff

Do you have suggestions on something cheaper that would work for a sub like this? I am kinda new to this stuff.... trying to get info! The last thing I want to do is to :spend:

If the Ice 10001 is 1100w at 4 ohms, not sure what it could do at 2 ohms let alone be stable that low. Definantly interested in cheaper options that would get me to the 2000w mark for the sub

·
Registered
316 Posts
I thought $1300 ish for 1000+Watts was cheap! At least cheap compared to something like Bryston's used stuff

Do you have suggestions on something cheaper that would work for a sub like this? I am kinda new to this stuff.... trying to get info! The last thing I want to do is to :spend:

If the Ice 10001 is 1100w at 4 ohms, not sure what it could do at 2 ohms let alone be stable that low. Definantly interested in cheaper options that would get me to the 2000w mark for the sub
Generally, people use professional audio amplifiers to drive these power hungry subwoofers.

The Behringer EP2500 is a popular unit that outputs a true, very low distortion 1900-2000 watts into 4 ohms. It costs $260-$350, depending on where you shop. The low cost may seem strange - but it's a high quality unit that has been tested/verified by 3rd parties to perform superbly.

Fan noise is a common issue, however. People generally swap the factory fan for a silent (at 2 or 3 feet away) aftermarket one. The swap is no more complicated than changing the fan in a computer case, and in fact, the fan is the same form factor and has the same plug connector as a pc case fan. There is a very specific fan that yields best results, so if you decide to do that, be certain to use this specific model. I don't remember the model number at the moment, but if you need to know (ask) the model someone will give the information, or you can search for the EP2500 fan mod in this forum. There is a lengthy thread on the subject.

-Chris

·
Registered
343 Posts
Sonnie, will the "store" you mentioned ship to Canada?
My ADA 1200 is being repaired, and I'm considering upgrading to a ep2500 and selling my ADA 1200 plate amp.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I doubt they will. Most don't, but it does depend on the individual seller/vendor. I say you can try, but it will probably be wasted time. :dontknow:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
holy ...... that's cheap!!! very interesting.......

So since I just saved $1,000 is it worth it to use 2 18's or is a single 18 plenty? I have never had a sub in my house before (girlfriend has mirage 8's which I do not like at all... she's moving in & we are combining systems) & my main speakers & rear surrounds have descent low end. They are Infinity Kappa 8.1vII's which have a 12in driver.

So for around $400 for the sub & $300 ish for a ep2500 (is that the best model to get) I would be set. Or should I go with 2 subs in smaller enclosures? I have never experienced large subs like this thus I do not know what the difference is in SQ when the box is 24cu ft at 11 hz vs two 15cu ft at 17hr or whatever it should be tuned to.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
holy that's cheap!!! very interesting.......

So since I just saved $1,000 is it worth it to use 2 18's or is a single 18 plenty? I have never had a sub in my house before (girlfriend has mirage 8's which I do not like at all... she's moving in & we are combining systems) & my main speakers & rear surrounds have descent low end. They are Infinity Kappa 8.1vII's which have a 12in driver.

So for around $400 for the sub & $300 ish for a ep2500 (is that the best model to get) I would be set. Or should I go with 2 subs in smaller enclosures? I have never experienced large subs like this thus I do not know what the difference is in SQ when the box is 24cu ft at 11 hz vs two 15cu ft at 17hr or whatever it should be tuned to.
I would go for a pair of subs and maybe even a pair of EP2500... :flex: :flex: :flex:

Probably tuning to 15Hz or so is fine. There is not a lot of material out there with bass below 15Hz.

You might also check out our WinISD thread and give it a spin while experimenting with various enclosures, tuning and port sizes.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have had/do have subs in my cars ..... & I did hear a single 18 in a very expensive ($100,000+ if I recall) stereo system years ago at a stereo store .... but yea, never had my own setup. Only been back into home stereo stuff for about 18 months now, slowly building a hopefully descent system.

I just don't want to go with something smaller & not be happy. Then have to spend more money to do it the right way.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I am doing either deuce Maelstrom-X 18's (or 21's if they are ready when I need them) with deuce EP2500's in my new HT room... that along with deuce Audiopulse 15's and deuce EP2500's on those as well. :hsd: :flex: :hsd:

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Great bass you'll have for sure! :T I like when there's a lot of headroom.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am doing either deuce Maelstrom-X 18's (or 21's if they are ready when I need them) with deuce EP2500's in my new HT room... that along with deuce Audiopulse 15's and deuce EP2500's on those as well. :hsd: :flex: :hsd:
this man knows what he is talking about :bigsmile:

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Since you just saved a bunch of money on the amplification, you may as well go for the dual 18s. I don't know how loud you listen, what you listen to, or how far you'll be sitting from your subs, but with dual 18" LLTs and dual EP2500s, there really isn't much of anything out there they wouldn't breeze through. I've got dual Avalanche 18 LLTs with dual pro amps myself - everything is effortless.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
in canada a decent place for an ep2500 is www.axemusic.com more than the states for price but were in canada so you make do with what you can get.
Also check out any stores you might have in the area who are more music-oriented... I found my BFD locally at a pro audio store, but have seen amps in guitar/piano/etc. stores where they have expanded and have sections for turntables and DJ equipment.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts