Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious as to others opinions on the suitability of this sub in IB? I am planning construction of a HT in the basement and am trying to come to a consensus on what to do about subs. Goals are to get very low and be reasonably clean. This room would be used mostly for movies and games and very little music would be played.

I have read a lot of info and am leaning toward an IB setup but could also do an LLT. I read alot about the 21's and Kevin H. mentions in the application guide IB is okay but I suppose with drivers this large and an ample amount of power they would probably shake the foundation in just about any kind of setup.

Would a pair of these 21's work as well and say 4 15" IB3's. I know the IB3's are designed for IB and is a proven setup but I didn't see many comments from others using the Maelstrom in an IB setup. So my questions is although they'll prolly work, are they optimal for IB?

TIA

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
I was just curious as to others opinions on the suitability of this sub in IB? I am planning construction of a HT in the basement and am trying to come to a consensus on what to do about subs. Goals are to get very low and be reasonably clean. This room would be used mostly for movies and games and very little music would be played.

I have read a lot of info and am leaning toward an IB setup but could also do an LLT. I read alot about the 21's and Kevin H. mentions in the application guide IB is okay but I suppose with drivers this large and an ample amount of power they would probably shake the foundation in just about any kind of setup.

Would a pair of these 21's work as well and say 4 15" IB3's. I know the IB3's are designed for IB and is a proven setup but I didn't see many comments from others using the Maelstrom in an IB setup. So my questions is although they'll prolly work, are they optimal for IB?

TIA
I think it would be amazing. I have a thread about it in the Exodus area, but it is titled "maelstrom power handling" or something. Check it out, I have it plotted up against IB3 18's in IB

let us know... everyone would be obessed with your build log if you did it...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Here is a model of 2 Mael-21, 2 IB 18s and 4 IB 18s. All of them have a 2nd order high pass at 10hz and enough power to get right around the xmax:
Red is 2 Mael-21
Orange is 4 IB 18s
Yellow is 2 IB 18s
comp.jpg

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
XBL^2 doesnt make better SQ. it increases Xmax. When you modeled, if you limited everything by Xmax, SQ should be similar... but whatever FR plot was flatter, should be more "SQ"

but ya 21's are tits! 4 18's too, but yeash 21's!

IB3's are the because 30mm Xmax for $220. Small motor, so only good for big space. If you're going IB, why not reap the benefit of 30mm for $220 vs 32mm for $645?

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
Hmm I was under the impression that the xbl allowed for less distortion compared to other motor types, which to mean would indicate better SQ. http://www.acousticdev.com/Files/XBLTech.pdf
I've been into XBL for a few years... I owned a pair of 15" Ascendant Audio Avalanche drivers, very similar to the Adire Audio Brahma and Tumult. I have 4 Adire Audio Extremis 6.4's and 2 CSS FR125S's. I plan on getting Dan Wiggin's XBL^2 tweets. I am kinda bummed cuz it's been difficult getting them but someone on the forum already has them.

XBL^2 is a small VC in a motor that hasd the center shaved to stratch out and balance out the magnetic gap. It simply makes the BL flatter over a wider stroke. At low volume this does NOTHING to "SQ". This simply makes the driver have less change in BL over it's stroke...increasing Xmax.

In short, IMHO, this doesnt make the driver sound any different than any other driver that's within it's Xmax. You don't necissarily hear an XBL driver and a non-XBL driver played within their limits and you can say which one has it. Its just that the other driver will probably start to stop sounding the same before the XBL driver will. Inductance is another topic here, I can agree with you there that the shorter coil may increase bandwidth and whatever effects low inductance have...

An 18" Ascendant Audio Avalanche has a 27mm Xmax and the IB3 has a 30mm Xmax. But there are so many other things that come into play, lower Fs on the Avalanche. But I'd say both would sound "similar" in an IB application.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm currently planning an IB using a pair of 21" maelstroms for my new house when I move later this year.

XBL^2 does indeed lower distortion (and VC inductance) over a greater Xmax operating range. That's the whole point of the flat BL curve design... here, from the horse's mouth: http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/XBL2DetailsPaper.pdf

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. I hadn't really looked into price yet. I was just after have 2 21's really. It looks like the IB3's are the way to go since they'd have more output and are cheaper. But I'd have to include amplification as well.

I planned on mounting these in the ceiling in my basement and piping the back wave into an adjacent room but I'm worried about compression in the joist spaces. Essentially there would be a box mounted to the ceiling to allow for the proper mounting depth (wouldn't be able to flush anything larger than 15" because the joists are 16" OC) and the back wave would pass through the joist spaces to the left and right (and the box would span two joists). since they're engineered 2.5x12" that leaves an open channel of 13.5x12. Would this produce noise/chuffing/compression? This area is smaller than a 15" even so I was curious. I could always make it span 3 joists.....or mount them in the wall.

I have lots of potential options but I've been reading the cult website and have pretty well drowned in their Kool aid so I really like the idear of IB.

Thanks for the modeling. I need to install REW and play with it for myself. I'm not sure what's been keeping me from that.

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
I'm currently planning an IB using a pair of 21" maelstroms for my new house when I move later this year.

XBL^2 does indeed lower distortion (and VC inductance) over a greater Xmax operating range. That's the whole point of the flat BL curve design... here, from the horse's mouth: http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/XBL2DetailsPaper.pdf
oh sweet sweet! ETA on sawdust and pics??

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
well looks like both you and I have lots of that! Id seriousely love to see some of these in IBs... Brian of Fi is planning 8 IB3 22's in an IB! That should be wicked awesome too...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts