Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am contemplating my first sub build and it looks like a sealed Maelstrom 21 can be built for about the same price as a Maelstrom 18 + 2 PR's. I am wondering how the 2 would compare. I have quite a bit of room so the enclosure volume can be reasonably large and it's a dedicated theater so no WAF to worry about. Thoughts?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I am contemplating my first sub build and it looks like a sealed Maelstrom 21 can be built for about the same price as a Maelstrom 18 + 2 PR's. I am wondering how the 2 would compare. I have quite a bit of room so the enclosure volume can be reasonably large and it's a dedicated theater so no WAF to worry about. Thoughts?
If it's a dedicated theater and size doesn't matter, what about an M21 LLT? Is a ~20ft³ enclosure too big for ya?

Or twin M18 sealed or LLT?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I'd first start with the size of enclosure you can live with. Get an idea of where it would go, and how much space you can realistically live with.

Once you have that defined, you can then start looking for solutions that fit within that scope.

The PRs allow a resonant enclosure in a smaller space than a ported cabinet. If you don't need to save space, you can go with a really large ported enclosure. Both are going to have tons of output, and both have slightly different tradeoffs.

Give me a call if you would like to talk about the various trade-offs.

360-452-9373

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can go at least 20 cubic feet under my projector screen (10 feet wide by 2 feet high by 1 - 1.5 feet deep) or I have quite a bit of space in the back of my room (sonotube?)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I can go at least 20 cubic feet under my projector screen (10 feet wide by 2 feet high by 1 - 1.5 feet deep) or I have quite a bit of space in the back of my room (sonotube?)
For these really large enclosures, Sonotube makes a lot of sense. You will need a good 8" section to do an LLT. You could easily go up to 10" but I like to keep the port lengths reasonable. If you are overloading a flared 8" port, you have a ton of output already.

Kevin Haskins

1 - 18 of 18 Posts