Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a Maelstrom-X 18". I've already bought a 24" X 12' and a 8" X 4' sonotube. How does this look for a start:

20 cubic feet
24" diameter enclosure
8" diameter port 24" long
tuned to 15Hz
powered by a 1,000W Peavey PV 8.5C amp

Thoughts?

Any reason to NOT use MDF for the end plates/caps?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
No reason not to use MDF - in fact, I'd say MDF is preferred. 3 layers per cap if you can.

My only comment on the design - which would be nitpicking - would be to consider tuning a bit lower in a slightly smaller enclosure. Take a look at 19.5 cubes with the port being 32" long for a ~13.5hz tuning.

Either way, you should be happy.

* Eh, I'll have to check if my Maelstrom file is the newer one or not, as I see Mike commented that even 18 cubes would be too big. I'll be back later.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No reason not to use MDF - in fact, I'd say MDF is preferred. 3 layers per cap if you can.

My only comment on the design - which would be nitpicking - would be to consider tuning a bit lower in a slightly smaller enclosure. Take a look at 19.5 cubes with the port being 32" long for a ~13.5hz tuning.
Using 3 layers of MDF means that I'll be limited to about 18 cubes due to ceiling height. The ceiling is about 7'9". It's a drop ceiling, so I could probably push that and still be able to tilt it up. Is 18 too small? Just curious, why tune to 13.5? To push the excursion curve to the left?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As long as you aren't getting "Display Warnings" in the program you are fine.
Thanks Mike. I just cut the tube to 6'7 13/16 inch. It's massive. Once this thing gets put together, I'm not sure how I'm going to move it. I may have to get the help of multiple neighbors to put it in the theater room (which is downstairs). The driver should be here on Dec 2nd (next Wednesday).

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I would assemble the subwoofer in the room it will be used in so you don't have to move it all around the house. By assemble, I mean mounting the driver to the baffle and inserting the finished endcaps into the tube.

If your port diameter is 8", you'll want to keep at least 8" clearance between the top cap and the ceiling.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts