Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after much research and forum trolling I'm going to be putting together a sub with 1 maelstrom and an EP2500. I really would like to stay within a 24 inch cube form factor and on a minimum budget. I'm debating between sealed or with 2 18" PRs.

So my question is - is the difference between these two responses worth the approximately $275 extra cost of the PRs.

and with a conservative room gain estimate (6 dB/oct, +3dB at 25Hz)

As a note, I'm currently in a 2500ft^3 room
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The graphs may be deceiving because it doesn't look like much. You get about twice the output down low near the PR tuning frequency in a slightly larger box with the PR build. It isn't a subtle difference. It is one of those HOLY SMOKES types of differences. It isn't like your hurting for output from a Maelstrom to begin with but the graph doesn't do it justice.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The graphs may be deceiving because it doesn't look like much. You get about twice the output down low near the PR tuning frequency in a slightly larger box with the PR build. It isn't a subtle difference. It is one of those HOLY SMOKES types of differences. It isn't like your hurting for output from a Maelstrom to begin with but the graph doesn't do it justice.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
Thanks for the input Kevin. Yeah, I see that it's about a 4-5 dB advantage on those graphs in the low octave; the slope makes the gap look smaller. The other part I really like is the healthy advantage in the 30-35 Hz range.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
You probably won't see 4-5dB. The simulation doesn't take into account all the mechanical losses nor power compression you see at those output levels. You get a lot though, and it is very low distortion. You basically have the swept area of TWO Maelstroms (PR-18) when the pair of PRs are operating and it is in the range that limits the output in most systems.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have Maelstrom-X + 2xPR18's sub Twins , Each sub is 8.6qft or 240lt internal with 1500g added mass so 1800g total when inc 300g MMP.....

When I built The first Sub I ran it without the Passives first because there were none in Australia at the time....
I can tell you that once I finnished the first Box and ran the Sub with the PR 18's it was A huge differance in output in the LOWER end....
I knew from that moment that I made the right choice :T.....

Cheers....

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have Maelstrom-X + 2xPR18's sub Twins , Each sub is 8.6qft or 240lt internal with 1500g added mass so 1800g total when inc 300g MMP.....

When I built The first Sub I ran it without the Passives first because there were none in Australia at the time....
I can tell you that once I finnished the first Box and ran the Sub with the PR 18's it was A huge differance in output in the LOWER end....
I knew from that moment that I made the right choice :T.....

Cheers....
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I think I'm convinced to go PR now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts