Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

My name is Jasper, I am 17 years old and I am from the Netherlands. I want to start building a couple of speakers for a school project and I have read and asked around a lot already, so I already have the basic knowledge. I found this forum when I was searching for information about the Maelstrom-X 18" unit. My budget is quite high but I need help on something:

I just can't decide whether to buy two Maelstrom-X 18" units with four 18" passive radiators or just two Aurasound NS18 units. The Maelstrom-X units with the PR's will cost me €700,-($980) and the Aurasound units will cost me €1000,-($1400) if I buy one new and one second-hand. The extra €300,-($420) for the Aurasound units isn't such a big problem as it are very exclusive and high-end units. The main problem is or it will be worth buying the Aurasound units over the Maelstrom units. For what I've heard the Aurasound units go really low without distortion but the Maelstrom units should be able to get low as well as it are great units too. The Aurasound units are rated at 800W RMS and 3200W peak where the Maelstrom units are rated at 1500W peak but I don't think this is the most important when buying a new subwoofer unit.

Which one would you choose and why? I hope to get a lot of good answers which will help me out :R

·
Registered
887 Posts
I would get the Aurasound for their higher build quality and bottomless design and because I don't think you can even purchase Mal-X 18's right now...

·
Registered
298 Posts
i wish i went to a high school that would have a subwoofer building class...and had parents that would drop 2 grand on a "project"....good luck with this.:T

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would get the Aurasound for their higher build quality and bottomless design and because I don't think you can even purchase Mal-X 18's right now...
I can buy two second-hand Mal-X 18's with four 18" passive radiators for €700,-. And indeed, the Aurasound has a higher build quality. If the Aurasound and the Mal-x were the same price I'd go for the Aurasound but it's not as easy as I wish it would be :huh:

What will you use these for, home theater, music, or both? Have you modeled the subs to see what the differences are between them in output?
I will mainly use them for music but sometimes for home theater as well. With modelling you mean using WinISD to calculate the theoretical SPL?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will try to model the SPL with WinISD as soon as I have time! Btw, it's gonna be my first time so please don't think I am lazy or anything because I haven't modelled yet :innocent:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Aurasound NS18's would be sealed according to your first post, correct?
I think it would get a sealed box because I have read that they are easier to make because the practical SPL is more predictable. Buying the Aurasound and also buying four 18" PR's would be too expensive for me so for the Aurasound I only have two options: sealed without PR's or ported. But as it is a build for a school project a port might be an interesting subject because it contains some advanced theory and calculations.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are the driver files for the Maelstrom-X 18 and NS18-992-4A. Save them to the Drivers folder in WinISD.
Thank you man! The advertisement with the Maelstrom-X units can be found here. I think the second photo is showing one of the PR's. I will model the SPL somewhere next week, because I have almost no time and still have to learn how to work with WinISD.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts