For my birthday...my fiance gave me.....a cold. :crying:
I pretty much slept through my birthday, but got some work done on the box today. I was going to go really extravagant with my box joinery and show off my woodworking...but my **** is dragging so bad right now, it's all I can do to just build the thing.
I have to say....building a box this large, is hugely different then building boxes for car audio, or even guitar cabinet building. I'm used to being able to swing a board around to work on it, or hell, even moving a smaller panel is easy...with this monster, I walk around to the other side of the project to get something done! YIKES! And I have to say...if you're a little off on a cut with a small box, it doesn't show up. If you're off on a bigger box, that 1 degree of variance at the end of a 41" long panel could be 3-4 degrees off. And with the tools I had, I found I have no way of really truing up a bad edge to make it a perfect 90 with the sides. My cuts were within 1/64 consistently. I spent a lot of time tuning my table saw to get that way. But the factory edges...well, they were off by a bit here and there from the factory. I miss working on MDF! (except for the dust!)
And my last lament before I go on to build photos...I'm so spoiled by MDF. Cheap plywood is far from dimensionally stable, and my panels had a slight bow to them...which, of course would never show up on a 4cu ft box...but on a 15+ box, yes, you can see the bow in the panels!! :hissyfit:
Alright, cold induced moo fest is over, now for some progress. I kept this build really simple because I simply wasn't feeling up to an extravagant build, and if I don't get it done this week, I'm not sure when I'll have time to get it done in the near future. So here we go!
I absolutely love this ruler from Incra Tools
. I have no idea how I got along without all these years...It helps keep me *very* accurate. I just wish I had a 24" version for this project.
Other key pieces that help keep this accurate and safe, is a quality table saw blade and splitter, on a zero clearance insert plate.
After I cut the panels I give them a quick sizing up...this is the part where I was up till 3AM wondering if I maybe should have gone with a smaller box, or ported box.... analysis paralysis! :unbelievable: Thanks Kevin for keeping me on track. I still have some questions in my pre-build thread that never got answered though.
Next I started on the bracing. I wanted the bracing to interlock. This is another part where I got really moo at the cheap plywood. I measured a panel and was pleased to find it was bang on 3/4". But then after cutting all the slots for the interlock, I find that they vary by a full 1/8" :rant: I saved weight on the build, but I think I'm going to reconsider cheap plywood in the future.
For the slots, I cut them on the table saw, then chipped out the wood with a 3/4" chisel.
Then using the tools on hand, I drew out the "window" style cutouts.
And started cutting! That Montogmery Wards jig saw was purchased by my parents when they bought their first house back in '81. I literally had to tighten the screws on it after every cut-out, and it's stuck ON all the time now...so I used a power strip as my on off button...but 1.5 hours later and I got the panels done!
And sizing up again.
I'm going to use a real thick construction adhesive to make up for the slop in the wood variance. I ran short on full panels, so I have one quadrant I'm going to piece together from cut offs after I get the main panels and bracing glued into the box.
Starting to glue up! I wish had more clamps. As it is, I have about $400 in clamps, and it wasn't nearly enough to glue up as much as I wanted in one sitting. I needed a break anyways...my nose is running.
Some fun shots.
I'll have more after I rest up and have some dinner. I hope to put a couple more hours in tonight getting a couple other panels glued in. I'll probably be putting off routing the face panel till tomorrow. I'm too bushed to wrestle with a 3HP router tonight.