Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

181 - 200 of 225 Posts

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
Hi mate,

I just played that second track at -15db with 14db of boost at 20hz with no issues at all. Doors were rattling a good en'. Still not any where near max excursion and got 5 green lights on the BFD. Will try it a bit later but the missus is asleep (or was). :rofl:

Oh I was getting pretty scared too.

cheers

Graham
sorry if i missed it, but what r u running?

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Hi mate,

Dual 18 FI Q18's in a 22" wide by 36" high by 30" long enclosure off a behringer EP4000 running 2400 watts rms bridged. Great sub but weighs over 320lb. All made out of 1" thick mdf. I'll check the excursion but I am sure it was only about an inch with the pulsing parts.

I going to see how far I can go with it today. I can't hear it just feel it around the room. I do prefer 20-30hz bass as you can hear it and feel it.

I would video it but I don't have anything other than a phone. God I bet you must love looking at that 21" baby. Two of them would be tonnes of fun. I had contemplated about running two single 18's instead but will see how this goes first.

Its a laugh though.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Ryan,

Sealed matey but goes very low but I have boosted a fair bit but it doesn't affect the sub at all and I can still play loud.

Hate ported subs. Had a PB13 previously. Chuffed all over the place. Not sure what diy ported subs are like. I did a WinISD dual 18 sub 20 cu ft with the FI and it gave 110db at 10hz plus room gain tuned to 10hz with 2 6" ports at 170cm long but wasn't sure about chuffing hence going sealed. What are your thoughts on ported subs. Also sealed subs are better with music.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
487 Posts
I personally don't think there are any hard and fast rules with regards to one sub topology being better for music than another. Personally think there are two kinds of subs. Those that are designed and implemented well, and those that are not.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I am just going on personal experiences with ported subs in my room. I've had the PC13 ultra, the PC12 plus and the PB13 in my room and still found that even the Sunfire HRS12 little sealed sub was much better than all 3 for music and much faster too. Probably due its size. Didn't go as low which was the compromise I guess. That's why I was wondering if building a larger ported sub would that eliminate the chances of getting silly port noises and would a larger ported driver sub be slower than a smaller driver ported sub. I think the results of Lonely ravens sub shows you can have the best of both worlds in a sealed sub though.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #189 (Edited)
EDIT: Wow, I type slowly when I've not had my coffee.

I've always felt there was something called "speed" in a sub-woofer, and to me it was how well it blended with the mains by being able to change notes as quickly as the mains. I've been sold several times on this and other forums that this is B$.

I've always felt it was B$ the common thoughts that 10" were fast, 15" were deep, and 12" was a good compromise. IMHO, the overall design of the system and how it's crossed over makes that difference.

All that said, even though the experts tell me otherwise, I think there *is* something that I would consider speed...I'm just not knowledgeable enough to pin what it is, or prove it with measurements. For all I know, it could just be that mid-bass POP that subs with noise/harmonics/resonance have.

My 21" sub blends well with my system, but can also sound separate from the system if it's not crossed over well and the phase(distance) setup on the AV Receiver. With music, I'm usually a two channel tube amp into a two way ULTRA-high detail listener. But since adding the 21" to my AV receiver, I find I'm listening to music more in the theater, simply because there *are* depth details I'm missing with a simple 2 way-2 channel setup.

I am more and more impressed with this woofer as I use it. And I'm a difficult bugger to impress. :devil:

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
well I ran sealed for years because all ported alignments I had ever heard were tuned too high for my tastes. I went 4th order several times and I loved them, tuned them low, which opened up the gateway to vented tuned low. I will never go back!

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Guys,

After alot of thought today, I am going to build two 18" single ported subs in a 9 cu ft box each tuned to 15hz. The dimensions will be 24" high by 22" deep by 36" wide with a single 7" port. Power going into each sub will be 1250 watts rms into 2 ohms. WinISD is giving 110db at 15hz for one sub so two should give me 116db at 15hz and 120db at 20hz plus room gain. And it doesn't even exceed full excursion at that power going into it. I am going to put them side by side under the plasma at first but if that doesn't work then put them into each corner or along the front wall.

Good to see someone having so much success with a sealed sub.

cheers

Graham

·
Banned
1,074 Posts

With music, I'm usually a two channel tube amp into a two way ULTRA-high detail listener. But since adding the 21" to my AV receiver, I find I'm listening to music more in the theater, simply because there *are* depth details I'm missing with a simple 2 way-2 channel setup.

I am more and more impressed with this woofer as I use it. And I'm a difficult bugger to impress. :devil:
amen. I wonder just what music listeners would think if they gave a try on setups with great LLT implimentation (a step further than a huge sealed alignment)

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
amen. I wonder just what music listeners would think if they gave a try on setups with great LLT implimentation (a step further than a huge sealed alignment)
I'm no expert, but I can tell you that I'm wanting more bass above 30hz for music when I'm in a small 13x13 room, just because I run out of amp :bigsmile:
Hopefully, tuning to 26hz later will cure me for my extra bass wants, although, movies have plenty low frequency effects when the M-18 is tuned to 14hz.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Guys,

After alot of thought today, I am going to build two 18" single ported subs in a 9 cu ft box each tuned to 15hz. The dimensions will be 24" high by 22" deep by 36" wide with a single 7" port. Power going into each sub will be 1250 watts rms into 2 ohms. WinISD is giving 110db at 15hz for one sub so two should give me 116db at 15hz and 120db at 20hz plus room gain. And it doesn't even exceed full excursion at that power going into it. I am going to put them side by side under the plasma at first but if that doesn't work then put them into each corner or along the front wall.

Good to see someone having so much success with a sealed sub.

cheers

Graham
May want to think about a bigger port.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
May want to think about a bigger port.
A single 7" port 46" long per box looks decent with an airspeed of 19m/s at 11.50hz. It will have a port resonance of 147hz. An 8" port will have to be 60 inches long to maintain the 15hz tuning, and will lower the port resonance down to 111hz.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #198 (Edited)
My Dad stopped by last night and I gave him a demo of my system with the new Maelstrom-X 21". We demo'd Terminator Salvation starting from the gas station scene through to where both the A-10 tank hunters went down.

Now, my Dad has been in the Home Audio and Home Theater since the mid '80s. Not high end stuff, but typical consumer stuff you would have found at Tweeter. He said he's never heard the quality and depth of bass I have, including in high end theaters and IMAX. He said that the bass allowed the movie to be more immersive, and he actually felt stressed like he was IN the movie in the situations happening on screen.

We also demo'd a DTS version of Dark Side of the Moon. We just did Time and Money since they have the most surround sound effect, and the bass didn't overpower the music but blended pretty well with it.

I've still not had time to try out something with very detailed bass...I'm not sure I have many recordings with some really quality (not volume but detail) bass. Maybe someone can recommend something?

I'm still working on sound absorbers and especially a fleet of diffusers. I'm going to try a combination of both for the whole room and see how I can get it to sound. I personally don't like a home theater being *dead* sounding...I like a live, but controlled sound. I'm lucky in that my bass is relatively balanced without too many huge dips and peaks.

181 - 200 of 225 Posts