Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kevin had a brief sale on 21" Mal-X drivers, since the 18" drivers were unavailable. I couldn't resist, so I bought one.

I waffled back and forth A LOT between a sonosub and a MDF cabinet. I finally found a good supplier for 28" sonotube and then decided to go the MDF route because at some point I'm going to build a baffle wall. It's H-E-A-V-Y. I haven't weighed it, but I would guess 200-250 lbs.

It's around 49" tall, 26.25" deep and 36" wide. I didn't want to make it much taller, couldn't make it much wider in order to fit it between my other subs, and I couldn't make it any deeper -- because the basement doorway is only 28". It comes out to about 21 cuft.

The port is tuned at 14 hz, it's 2" tall, 38" long. I did a double-thickness front baffle. I wanted to recess it, but that would have been another 30 lbs or so.

Going to power with a bridged EP4000. Supposed to be good to 1800w. The coil is rated at 1500 pmax, but I know it's possible to push it.

I have a mostly finished pic that I'll post later..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Big 21" sub, Big box, what's not to like. Can't wait to see the pics.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can anyone confirm that I shouldn't need a HPF?

From what I've read LLTs don't need a HPF due to the very low tuning.... But couldn't a very intense low frequency still cause over-excursion (like the way that it's modeled)? Or is the VERY intense low content pretty atypical? It seems infrequent from the waterfalls that I've seen,.

I bought Telarc's "The Big Picture" and was looking at Spectrum Lab and was surprised at how intense some of the low freq content was.

·
Registered
887 Posts
The port seems a little short for that width (high aspect ratio). I have no practical experience with this, however, just going off of a recollection from recommended slot port dimensions.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
vann_d said:
The port seems a little short for that width (high aspect ratio). I have no practical experience with this, however, just going off of a recollection from recommended slot port dimensions.
Interesting. I felt like I was taking a risk with 2in but everything I found recommended a min of 1.5" so I figured I'd be OK. I wanted to do 3" or more but that would have resulted in a much longer port. I guess I could have built it without being the width of the enclosure...

The port is 2" tall by 34.5" wide.

I'll have to read up on aspect ratios of slot ports...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Wow, 28" That's gonna be a 21" super salad tosser. Start taping the windows and put the china in the garage. Can't wait to see the pictures!:hsd::dumbcrazy:

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is my goofball neice... standing next to the Mal-X 21" sub and the dual EVX sub.

I've since finished the paint.. flat black. They're going behind a screen wall, so I'm happy with them looking rather "industrial".

Later, I'd still like to duratex them and put on some corner protectors.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I can vouch for their size, mine are 48" high by 28" wide and I have two off them in a relatively small living room. So 36" wide will look big in the flesh.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, so it's a camera phone picture with bad lighting, but you get the idea.

All hidden behind the screen wall... I'll grab some better pictures later.

I was just trying to get them hidden - so I can get some floor space back.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I can only... IMAGINE :yikes:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts