Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wasn't sure I was going to post any pics since this is my first DIY subwoofer and I've never really built anything out of wood before. I had no idea how it was going to look but so far it's turning out pretty close to what I had hoped.

The design goal was to hide a Maelstrom-X in plain sight. I asked for ideas and came up with the "subwoofer credenza" It's going to double as a speaker stand for my L-R-C, the Pioneer Plasma will wall mount right behind it and I'll be able to put my PS3 on it as well in one of the little shelves. It's downward firing, going to get 4in stainless steel legs and should be just around 7 cubes sealed with bracing and the speaker inside.

I used a triple baffle under the speaker so I could recess the sub and still have 1.5in of MDF to hold it in place. I used Spax MDF screws which are pure awesome, and yes, you don't need to pre-drill with them but it’s faster if you do.

As I said this is my first DIY sub and my first real woodworking project. I built this using a circular saw with guide, cordless drill, miter saw and a hand held router. I wasted a full sheet of MDF learning how to cut square but the veneer was a lot easier than I had thought. I've been working on this almost every day for a month so it's taken me 3 weeks longer than I thought it would and it's not even done yet.

Behold the pastiche of clamps. I wish I had more and I wish I didn't buy those horrible orange Harbor Freight clamps. All of the panels are also screwed in from the bottom and most from the sides as well. I went out and bought two more Bessey clams to get the top on.

Before sanding

After stain

Tomorrow I’ll do a couple coats of polyurethane, Saturday I’ll get the legs and speaker inside.
I’ve learned SO MUCH that I could build it again better. One of the things I’m so so on is the veneer I used. I went with Red Oak since it was dirt cheap, $35.00 a roll, and the pictures online looked really cool. The grain on it is great but looking at it now most of my house is Scandinavian and this looks more old west. We’ll see how it looks with the stainless steel legs I bought for it. If I’d do it again I’d also put more bracing in it. I didn’t take pictures of it all but there’s also a brace in each corner. I thought having 3 layers of .75in MDF for a baffle would be thick enough to not need as many braces but in some places it doesn’t pass the knuckle test.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Nice project! You don't need bracing in the corners, the bracing is most needed at the center of the sides (farthest away from corners). Do you have any bracing from top to bottom?

What are you going to power it with?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice project! You don't need bracing in the corners, the bracing is most needed at the center of the sides (farthest away from corners). Do you have any bracing from top to bottom?

What are you going to power it with?
The corner bracing idea came from The Loudspeaker Cookbook but I changed it a little. I put the braces from the top to the bottom of the enclosure. Aside from those and the single shelf brace there isn't any other top to bottom bracing. The internal dimension of the height is only 11.5 inches from top to bottom where I have 3 baffles and 12.25in on the second half where I only use 2 baffles so I didn't think I needed a whole lot of bracing. We'll see but I'm sure it will sound great esp compared to the OLD SVS I'm using right now.

EP2500 and DSP1124 for the Mal-X. My mains are Ascend Acoustics 340se and I have Ascend HTM-200 for surround duty.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Mike

The legs are off the shelf from Ikea. the package lists them as being 4 3/8in long. I'm using six legs, one on each corner and two in the middle under the shelf bracket.

Here's a pic

I really played with the measurements to get the height ideal for my television. With the center channel on top of the credenza sub the TV will be wall mounted right above it at the perfect height for our sofa.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The PS3 likely will have tolive on some sort of soft foam. Whole lotta thumping going on. If not, I would expect reduced life from it.

Also, I am a bit confused on the design. Do you have a drawing of it?

·
Registered
430 Posts
The PS3 likely will have tolive on some sort of soft foam. Whole lotta thumping going on. If not, I would expect reduced life from it.

Also, I am a bit confused on the design. Do you have a drawing of it?
Likely even the PS3 sitting on a dense/heavy plate of something that is then on the foam. Something like granite or 1/2 thick iron?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My old SVS 12 had a lamp sitting on it for quite a while and it didn't shake at all so I figured this would be similar. If it does vibrate I'll just move the PS3 somewhere else.

Sorry no drawing. I put on the final coat of polyurethane today so I'll probably put on the legs, insert the Mal-X and bring it into the house tomorrow night.

I've been busy this last month. I put in a dedicated 20amp line to the Receiver and EP2500, put in a few hidden old work boxes to run speakerwire, HDMI and Toslink in wall from the receiver to the TV. Wall mounted the Pioneer Kuro yesterday, ran CAT-6 to the PS3 and built the subwoofer.

Tomorrow I have to install a new shelf for the components, put it all back together, finish the sub and then watch a movie!

Once finished I don't know what I'll do with all my free time!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finished it today. Had to move the PS3 because it did rattle.

Here's a pic. The wires aren't finished, I'll clean those up later.

I might need to play with the dip switches on the EP2500 because there isn't as much bass as I think there should be. I might of messed something up there.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Really nice, high performance, and a perfect fit for you. The beauty of DIY.
It was not clear from the pics, but the driver fires face down, but it looked like you had a board covering the driver face? I assume you cut that out, or does it fire through a slot to the back?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
digital desire: I think what you were looking at was the "workbench" MDF the saw horses were holding up. I cut the holes early in the process. It's downfiring.

One thing I'll add is that my SPAX MDF screws were too small to hold the driver in, had to use #10 screws.

Mike, right now it doesn't have enough gain so the output is really low. I double checked the dip switches and they are correct so it just must be my receiver not putting out enough gain for the EP2500. I've not hooked up the DSP1124 yet so I don't know if that would boost the signal or if I'll need something like the Samson S-Convert to boost it.

The best way I can describe it over the SVS is tighter and punchy but I have not run any calibrations yet, just setup with my ear.

I'm currently having a couple of ,IMO, well deserved beers and grilling some some dinner. Anyway I'm a touch inebriated and will work on getting the DSP1124 setup on Wednesday when I have some free time and the speaker has had a little more time to break in.

I can't believe how good it looks. Here's a pic of the old setup before I got the Plasma.

The sub was behind the sofa so it was sicking out 18in or so. The wife is SO much happier now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
regarding your comment on the clamps,
A while back I needed woodworking clamps and didn't know which kind was best so I bought a variety. Long story short, my least favorite is the kind where you squeeze the grip to tighten, and the best I found is Bessey. The Bessey is strong and the one I have has the contact pads offset, which helps on certain projects. The type you screw on to a pc. of pipe have their place as well, they are sturdy but not as flexible with the shorter reach pads, plus the pads aren't cushioned.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Figure I should post an update. I was able to adjust the sound a bit and I think I have enough gain. The sub sounds awesome. It digs DEEP and it's effortless. On Saturday I was getting ready to run REW with my DSP1124p when my 1 year old Denon receiver crapped out on me. The HDMI ports failed. I've been in contact with support and it seems this is somewhat common. I either have to ship my receiver to New Jersey, I'm in Sacramento California, or drive two hours to the Bay Area to have it serviced. The shop I spoke to down there said he might be able to fix it while I wait but since they are only open while I'm at work I'm not sure that's the best bet for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, thank you Mike, it is still under warranty. Denon provides a 2 year warranty on their receivers.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
joe_sun:

Your build gets my vote for most original and integrated design yet. Building it into the entertainment center is a great stealth method for integrating it into the room. Great work!

I hope your troubles with the Denon get worked out quick.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

1 - 20 of 23 Posts