Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Maelstrom-X/LT1300 8.5 cuft, 22hz

10K views 45 replies 11 participants last post by  mdrake 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my second build with the Mal-X and ED LT/1300 plate amp. The first was a 10.8 cuft slot port design that didn't turn out right so I rebuilt it. The specs are 22x22x44 plus another 5.5" for the base, Generation I Mal-X, Elemental Designs LT/1300 plate amp with 20hz hi-pass, 8" sonotube port tuned to 22hz. The walls are covered with two layers of 1/2" polyfill batting. I went with Rustoleum Mineral Brown stone finish paint so it would blend in with the living room furniture and it does a decent job of hiding seams and mistakes. The sub is in a 5000 cuft living room with openings and I'm using the Anti-mode 8033 for EQ. The output on this thing is amazing to say the least and I already want to build another one just like it. My HT partner in crime described it as "skull crushing". I'm proud of this build and thought I would share so others could benefit from it. I'll run REW over the weekend and post graphs as soon as I can. Here are the pics:
The pics are with my iphone because my real camera is broken so they're not the best quality.

Designing the bracing

Test fitting the port

Lining the walls with 1" of polyfill batting

Port installed with 1/2" roundover

Countersinking for the amp

Test fit

Port sealed and smoothed with caulk

Stone finish paint

Building the base

All corners have 3/8" roundover

The finished product-I'll get better pic and update as soon as I can

See less See more
#2 ·
hi there

I am curious as to why your slot ported didnt work out. I have 2 FI Q18 slot ported tuned to 13.5hz and they sound brill. What was it tuned to and is your new sub aimed more at music as I would personally tune a ported maelstrom much lower especially with its excursion capabilities. Smafrt build though.

cheers graham
Posted via Mobile Device

#3 ·
The slot build didn't work out because of a lack of knowledge and a bad design. I was running into over excursion for some reason and I never really figured out why. I tuned the slot build lower than the hi pass unknowingly (at the time) and I believe that was my biggest problem, other than it was just plain huge and took up too much room. The new build is for movies 99% of the time and my goal was high output due to my large room. After a lengthy discussion with ED, I learned that the amp basically rolls off around 18hz so modifying the hi pass (10hz was the only option) would have been pointless so I opted for a higher tune with more output. I went with the plate amp simply because I liked the plug and play aspect versus a pro amp. This build definitely exceeded my expectations and met my goals without a doubt.

#9 ·
That is very very very sweet.. I always try to sneak a jab when silicone is used instead of subfloor adheisive but it always seems to be in elaborite builds that i could never do. Too bad you didn't go for an 18Hz tune... I think it's a good tuning spot to begin with, that could have combined with your natural roll off... and too bad you brought the air space down...over excursion due to efficiency is never a problem in my book.. to me it means you get to turn the amp down and enjoy more headroom, more dynamics, less stress on your gear... more effortlessness.

But look at your pics... I should delete everything I said except " That is very very very sweet.. "

props

#10 ·
Thanks for the compliments Ryan. I guess you lost me on the subfloor adhesive part. It's glued and caulked inside and out on all seams. I figure if I just have to find out, I'll buy another sonotube that will fit over the current port end to lower the tuning since I can easily reach it by taking out the amp. I'm sure it will happen cause like most everyone on this board, it's hard to leave things alone when there is the big "what if" factor.

#23 ·
I'm in the process of building the twin to this sub using the same equipment as before. The only difference is I lowered the tuning on this one to around 20.7, give or take depending on what modeling program I use. I couldn't go any lower because I ran out of clearance between the end of the port and the back of the driver. I'm actually violating the golden rule of at least one port diameter away from any boundary with this design but I'm going to try it anyway. Here are some pics of the progress:

I'm getting close to being done and I'll put up some more pics when I can.

#24 ·
Looks good :T

Doesn't it seem like the two subs combined with different tunings would sound...I guess...strange? But, I guess the 2hz lower tuning isn't going to make much of a difference.

That may be one thing to try...build a normal LLT, ported to ~18hz, then another tuned to something like 10hz just for superior extension :bigsmile: The two probably wouldn't integrate too well then though.

#26 ·
Surely you'll be able to get those REW charts up when this one's complete.....:rofl: Looking good man, hollar when you're ready to move it in the house and I'll give you hand. As long as your better half is at work. :bigsmile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.