Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts
Discussion starter · #23 ·
I'm in the process of building the twin to this sub using the same equipment as before. The only difference is I lowered the tuning on this one to around 20.7, give or take depending on what modeling program I use. I couldn't go any lower because I ran out of clearance between the end of the port and the back of the driver. I'm actually violating the golden rule of at least one port diameter away from any boundary with this design but I'm going to try it anyway. Here are some pics of the progress:

I'm getting close to being done and I'll put up some more pics when I can.

Looks good :T

Doesn't it seem like the two subs combined with different tunings would sound...I guess...strange? But, I guess the 2hz lower tuning isn't going to make much of a difference.

That may be one thing to try...build a normal LLT, ported to ~18hz, then another tuned to something like 10hz just for superior extension :bigsmile: The two probably wouldn't integrate too well then though.

Looking impressive mate, can't wait to see the finished product.

Surely you'll be able to get those REW charts up when this one's complete.....:rofl: Looking good man, hollar when you're ready to move it in the house and I'll give you hand. As long as your better half is at work. :bigsmile:

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Here are some more pics from the build. I used brown paint as a base this time to cut down on the spray paint since it's $8 a can. I'm almost finished and I should have it have it wired up and ready to go tonight.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Looking good!!

That finish definitely has a unique look to it. I might have to try it out sometime.
Thanks. I like the finish since it blends with the furniture and the wife's decor. Keeps the WAF somewhat tamed because she would freak out with two huge monolith subs painted black.

You mentioned the difference in tuning a few days ago and I found that 20 vs. 22 was very minimal. I tuned it lower anyway to see if can hear a difference. Plus, with two of them now, I may get better extension since I have a HUGE space to fill.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
I'm finally done with the build but I'm not bringing it in until the paint dries. I've included some more pictures of the finished product while it sits and dries on a four wheel dolly. I think it turned out great and except for the tuning, it's an exact clone of the first one.

As for the plate amps, I know everyone here uses the Behringer amps but I simply don't have room for them nor do I want to mess with the cabling or deal with the fans. But, if I ever decide to ditch the plates all I have to do is cap the hole and install wire terminals and I'm good. I really like the ED amps a lot and they work fine for my particular application.

I cut my stone finish paint from 11 cans on the first build to 6 cans on this one by using the brown base coat. Saved me $40 bucks this time and I still haven't figured out why I didn't do it on the first one.:scratch:

I should have it up and running tomorrow night and I'll check the response with REW. Oh, if anyone wants to share info on how to measure maximum output with REW I'm all ears...on with the pics-

Discussion starter · #34 ·
I managed to get it in the house late this afternoon but I had to leave as soon as I did. No listening tests or graphs yet but I did snap a few pics of it next to its twin. This won't be its final resting place and I'll have to figure out where I'm going to put it over the next few days.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Here is the REW graph of both of the subs. Adding the second sub obviously didn't help with the huge dip around 70Hz so I am going to chalk it up as one of the drawbacks of having the main listening position up against the back wall. I didn't really didn't gain any additional extension since my space is huge (5000+ cu.ft. with 12' ceilings) but the output is awesome and now I can hear/feel balanced bass without the void on one side of the room. And to think my first "real" sub was a DT ProSub 1000 for $500...

No smoothing, Anti-Mode 8033 engaged with all EQ/Standing Wave processing on my Pio SC-07 turned off:

Discussion starter · #38 ·
Hate to resurrect this but I recently started using a feedback destroyer instead of the Anti-Mode and I am much happier. I liked the Anti-Mode but I never was a fan of not being able to control what it was doing. Although I still have some dips that I believe are a direct result of my listening position against the back wall, I'm pleased with the results. I have a nice little hump at 20Hz that I like and a fairly flat overall response. The graph is with the main speakers on and no smoothing:

Discussion starter · #40 ·
Sounds a lot better to me now. My next project is to extend the port and lower the tuning on the first sub so they will match. I "think" I can hear when the first one starts dropping off before the second one. It could just be my imagination but it sure seems like it

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.