Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am planning a new HT build using a new Malestron X when they become available, My plans are for a coffee table with the driver and port downfiring, the table will be approx. 18" x 24" x 60" so I should end up with around 12 cf after ports, driver displacement, braces, etc. I ran the numbers through WinISD and modeled 12cf @12hz square port tuning, this gives me a port 22.5" x 2.5" x 77" with a mach of .13, tuning the box to 16hz drops the port length down to 39" with a .1 mach.

Any advice \ opinions on these choices or any other suggestions, I can adjust the size of the box \ table to gain or lower volume if necessary.

I realize this was modeled with the old MalX and I'm assuming the TS parameters won't change much.
The room is a dedicated HT room 13 x 32 x 8' ceilings, very well damped and sealed, I'm currently just using my Strata minis with the 8" powered subs near the front corners and the low end is VERY surprising! so I have a lot of room gain.

I will probably power the sub with an EP2500 and some sort of PEQ \ Subsonic filter device

Thanks!!
Steve

·
Registered
538 Posts
First off, I would definatley wait for the correct T/S parameters before you pull the trigger on anything. Otherwise, I would think you can go with a smaller cross section port and make the lenght shorter. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you can go up to much higher port speeds and still be in good shape. That would allow you to bring your port length down and avoid the risk of port resonance which you could see in anything higher than about 36" port lengths. Just food for thought.....

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
First off, I would definatley wait for the correct T/S parameters before you pull the trigger on anything. Otherwise, I would think you can go with a smaller cross section port and make the lenght shorter. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you can go up to much higher port speeds and still be in good shape. That would allow you to bring your port length down and avoid the risk of port resonance which you could see in anything higher than about 36" port lengths. Just food for thought.....
I'd agree but we are going to be pretty close. There are not as many differences with the Maelstrom-18" as there are differences in the new Shiva-X & Tempest-X. Those parameters are changing, the Maelstrom should be pretty much the same with maybe the Cms changing a little. After you have modeled a couple hundred enclosures you start to notice that Cms changes don't make earth-shattering differences in the final design. It is a good thing because Cms changes with cone position and our alignments would go all to hell at higher power if changes in Cms made big differences. :nerd:

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

1 - 4 of 4 Posts