Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Maelstrom X is only available in single 4 ohm? Are there any alternatives with a dual 4 config to get a 2 ohm load, or dual 1 to get 2. High Xmax, low Fs. XBL^2.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I can't think of a single one. The CSS SDX 15's are dual 2ohm which gives you a little more flexibility. You could wire a pair to .5ohm :dontknow:. Maybe scare up some TC Sounds TC2000 15 drivers. They had dual 4 ohm models. SS RLP18 D4's would be great. I think a guy in the sale forum here has a pair for a good price.

·
Banned
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The CSS aren't living up to specs I keep hearing...namely Xmax given :(

I'm looking for 18's, should have specified that... I am waiting on getting a pair of Avalanche 15's back from recone for the daily driver, but I want some Maelstrom-X 18's for the dedicated...room...( SUV)...but I want a pair of KX2500.1's, 1 per sub... and they do their best at 2ohm.

Don't know of any good 3kW+ car audio amps at 4ohm :wits-end:

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Xmech is 41mm on those too. They don't just blow or anything if you go past 30mm. Aluminum cone. tall rubber surround, 3" coil, cast aluminum frame, etc.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
They won't make it that far though. You just cannot get enough power in them to drive them to Xmech. The suspension really stiffens up so that as you pour in more power, you don't bottom. Even in free-air I don't think I could drive them to the mechanical limit in terms of hitting the triple joint against the top plate.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
www.diycable.com

·
Banned
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They won't make it that far though. You just cannot get enough power in them to drive them to Xmech. The suspension really stiffens up so that as you pour in more power, you don't bottom. Even in free-air I don't think I could drive them to the mechanical limit in terms of hitting the triple joint against the top plate.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
www.diycable.com
I know youre not talking about the ava's so you must be talking about the RLP's...and I'm not looking for a tight suspension...progressive roll!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I believe that Kevin meant the Mal-X's would have to be seriously overdriven to ever hit the 42mm xmech mark. Probably the same deal for the AVA's and the RLP's.

Aren't the AVA's 4 ohm too? I'm just saying if you need a 2ohm high power, quality 18 then an RLP is very much worth considering.

·
Banned
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess I don't plan on pushing the Maels past Xmax... I'd like to have 18" Tumults, Avalanches, Maelstrom X's, or Brahmas, or the like.... But I like that the Maelstroms not only are 33mm like Tumults, but that extra head room to not break it.

I know the RLPs are close to that list, but not quite, kind of like XXX's, right?

I should do some research and relook at specs, as its been quite a while.

I like the Maels...I just need to go amp shoping. I'd like 2 dedicated amps, but at 4ohms...I'm better getting just 1 2500.1 and going parallel at 2ohms... but then i dont have another 2500 watts on tap to play with...be it burps or showing off or extra extra headroom and going real easy on the amps all day long.

·
Banned
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just looked them up... pretty sexy lookin, a lot different than I remember...I never got into them too much, never paid too much attention. I didn't realize theyre 27mm. They overhung? I guess other than theyre not XBL and the soft parts...tall rubber rather than 1/2 roll foam and is that a laminated paper cone? Dual spiders...I don't see anything about progressive roll.

Looks pretty nice actually!

$390 if I get 2.... still likin the maelstroms much more.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
They are overhung and are made by TC Sounds. They are kind of like a beefed up 18" TC2000. It has shorting rings, aluminum cone, tall rubber surround, same frame as the Mal x, should be a progressive spider. There is a guy selling 2 in the classifieds section here for $335 each I think.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts