Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

magnavox crt rptv converge is off. need HELP!!!

4K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  lcaillo 
#1 ·
hello im repairing my first magnavox model # 6p5440 w103 crt tv and ive successfully changed the fluid but the converge is off set and when i line it up in the middle the sides are off. i put the service code 062 in and a grid comes up but the lines are clearly bent and become worse as it leaves the center. i would like to know how to straighten out the curves. also the menu finally appeared but the channel changes and menu and stuff like that are very scrambled up and sort of flashing. if you could provide insight or help to atleast one of these problems it would be greatly appreciated

#2 ·
The convergence procedure is not something that can be related in a few words. I suggest you get a copy of the service literature for your set and follow the procedure in the manual.

I do not understand they symptom that you are describing with the menus. If you want help you have to be very specific and complete in describing what is going on.

#3 ·
ok, well i have searched the web for a service manual and i cannot even find an owner's manual. They seem impossible to come by for the model number and i will go to work on the tv in the next few days so i will take pictures of the symptoms and post them so you can see but if you can try to describe what i have to do to fix the set i would really appreciate it because i cannot seem to find a service manual, thanks

#5 ·
i looked at treasure chest and they didn't have any service manuals for Magnavox model # 6p5440-w103 or 6p5440 w103 so it don't know where you found it if you could send me a link i would consider purchasing the manual since i have already invested atleast $20 and many hours of my time as long as its not to expensive

#9 ·
ok cool but before i purchase a service manual tell me what i'm dealing with. do you think the tv can be fixed. i've read that the alignment chips can be broken and i don't think they make those anymore. in the past how many of these have you successfully repaired? what do you think my chances are?

#10 ·
I do not understand what you mean by "alignment chips."

Generally, these sets can be repaired. They often have contaminated coolant AND convergence problems, and I do not recommend doing one without the other, but we fix them all the time.

#12 ·
I am not sure what your question is. I cannot provide step by step instructions. Read the first ten posts in the convergence repair thread very carefully. I can answer general questions but anything more is beyond the scope of the forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.