Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for nice looking on-wall speakers and saw some used MMG (I know those are not really on wall, but they can be) speakers from Magnepan. I heard that those speaker are fantastic for music but do not have the dynamic of regular speaker.

Is it true?

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
It has been a long time since I have heard Maggies, but from what I remember and what I have read they will not play very loud. So, it depends on your expectations. At moderate volume I am sure they will sound great. Also, most users will want a subwoofer with them.

As for on wall mounting, don't Maggies radiate from front and back and isn't the recommended placement out from the wall a bit? Sealing off the back by mounting them on the wall could cause frequency response oddities.

Also, efficiency is a bit low so you will need a good bit of amplifier power to drive them.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
The wall mount MMGW is meant for side walls and mount on a wing that swings out. Planars have nulls at the sides, so the speaker wouldn't "see" the wall.

Are Magnepans suitable for HT? Depends on your listening levels, don't expect to hit reference levels (105 dB @ the listening position) easily. As hjones4841 has noted, they also like power and should be fed a minimum of 200 watts @ 4 ohms, each panel.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As for on wall mounting, don't Maggies radiate from front and back and isn't the recommended placement out from the wall a bit? Sealing off the back by mounting them on the wall could cause frequency response oddities.

Also, efficiency is a bit low so you will need a good bit of amplifier power to drive them.
They will be mout on the front wall but with a mount that swivel, the MMGW are sold like that, you just pushe them on the wall when not in use

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The wall mount MMGW is meant for side walls and mount on a wing that swings out. Planars have nulls at the sides, so the speaker wouldn't "see" the wall.
their site show clearly that they can be mount on the front wall with a swivel braket,
As far as 200WPC, I have an old Sansui B2101 that is doing nothing right now and it would be perfect for that.

And I have a Velodyne DD-15 so I am covered for the base.

Yes, yes yes, I think »I am going to call the guy to see if it is still for sale
Thanks

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Let us know how it works for you, informal. Sounds like a very interesting system and fun project.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Let us know how it works for you, informal. Sounds like a very interesting system and fun project.
Yes I will probably start a tread that shows how hugly it is right now with all the wires hanging.
I have a rack mount cabinet in the basement and all the AV equipment will go in there.

I am only waiting for the guy who is selling the sepaker to respond

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got a reply from Magnepan telling me that.
"It doesn't work well to try to convert a floor-standing model to an on-wall model. Please call for more details."

I will call him, he will probably tell me to go with the MMGW, but I will have to cross-over above 100Hz (possible to localize the base above 100Hz) and I do not want to move the sub to the front.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Although you can try using Magnepan's in the way you have written, IMO you are wasting time and energy attempting to do so. What the people at Magnepan told you should be sufficient to warn you away. After all they make them and have more knowledge than you or I concerning their product.

BTW: I totally agree with what they told you. I've owned three different sizes of Magnepans (MG1's, 2's and 3A's) and none of them worked well close to a wall.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
...but I will have to cross-over above 100Hz and I do not want to move the sub to the front.
Why do you have to cross over above 100 hz? Also look at the MC1 which has low frequency extension down to 80 Hz.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"It doesn't work well to try to convert a floor-standing model to an on-wall model. Please call for more details."

QUOTE]

I phone them because the reply does say ''Call for more detail''.

I tought that he would have some ideas or may be even new products come in soon,
But the guy simply replied ''I don't know how to tell it to you fifferently'' as if I was some stupid guy who just can't accept what's obvious.

So Magnepan is not an option fr now

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why do you have to cross over above 100 hz? Also look at the MC1 which has low frequency extension down to 80 Hz.
Thanks for the info, I did not look at the MC1 because when I saw the ''C'' in MC1, I tought it was a center channel

·
Registered
483 Posts

QUOTE]

I phone them because the reply does say ''Call for more detail''.

I tought that he would have some ideas or may be even new products come in soon,
But the guy simply replied ''I don't know how to tell it to you fifferently'' as if I was some stupid guy who just can't accept what's obvious.

So Magnepan is not an option fr now
Not to pile on, but anyone who has any experience with dipole radiators knows that what Magnepan told you is obvious. Remember, fifty percent of the sound from them comes from the rear. How else could Magnepan have said it? Any panel (dipolar) speaker, ribbon, electrostatic or planar magnetic has the same placement requirements. The truth is most "good" speakers of any type don't sound all that good when placed close to the wall behind them.

Manufacturers of higher quality speakers usually have placement recommendations in their literature and manuals. Very few if any condone placement close to any walls. Any speaker that has a port in the rear will sound pretty bad when placed close to a wall behind it. The same sort of admonition applies to placing "bookshelf" speakers directly on the floor. Poor positioning of speakers can make even the best sound awful.

BTW: With proper placement and the addition of a sub woofer IMO MMG's are excellent for HT use and even better for music.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How else could Magnepan have said it? Any panel (dipolar) speaker, ribbon, electrostatic or planar magnetic has the same placement requirements.
What he said was very clear, what got me was the fact that he ask me to call him back for more detail, so I just tought that they may have new product coming out or a way to modify them to work like the MMGW

BTW: With proper placement and the addition of a sub woofer IMO MMG's are excellent for HT use and even better for music.
MMG are floor stander and I do not want that, that is why I may be going with the MC1, I do have a good sub (Velodyne DD-15) to complement them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts