Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Major center chanel distortion - SVS Ultra

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Steeve-O 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
My first movie I played was the first fight scene on Gladiator...

I thought the SVS Ultra center was blown :( major distortion... clipping etc...

after some major panicking and research I was able to determine that its' the movie as found by this guy on this forum: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/114-h...zy-dialog-now-days-recorded-hot-blu-rays.html

The crazy thing is... I never heard it on the NHT's but on the SVS ultra they play every detail and I can hear it. i can turn the volume down to -40db and still hear it like it's so bad. It's only the fight/sword scene.

Anybody else experience "hot" clipping portions in movies not associated with the speakers?

Just stinks as I don't think I can ever watch the movie again like this.

#2 ·
Good speakers/sub will reveal a very good recording in music/movies but also every bad thing as well. You can also hear how well the imaging is in a recording.

#4 ·
My uncle said it could be the players also. Here is what he mentioned to me

Quote: "It could also be the players in all these situations being overloaded with the peaks. We are only talking about the capability to output 2 volts to the receiver. If these peaks are recorded that “hot” the laser output and Bit length might be clipping the chips in these cheap players. Keep in mind that the clip or “incorrect reading” of the bits will sound absolutely awful. That’s why ANALOG rules as you don’t have that problem."

ya... he's a 2 channel analog audiophile but it could make sense right?

#6 ·
Still using my old Sony BDP-S350 I got back in 08 sometime. It's on the current firmware and does output TrueHD and DTS-MA as well. DTS-MA is what the Gladiator was on.

It only sounded like this once the sword fighting/chariot stuff began in chapter 15.

I would buy an Oppo but with all the spec changing stuff going on I'm waiting.

#7 ·
I've heard this a few times too. There are quite a few threads too. It sounds like mic clipping. Like the input sensitivity is too high or something like that. I think like Tony said, revealing speakers tend to highlight these anomalies. That's why some don't hear them imo. Or they're used to crummy MP3...

#8 ·
Well even in 2 channel there has always been good recordings, recordings and REALLY AWESOME recordings.

I just did NOT expect this in a bluray disc especially one that has been "remastered". I'll have to check and see if sending via PCM changes anything. The guy on the link said it didn't.

#12 ·
I though I was crazy back a few years ago when I subscribed to this forum... Watching Gladiator with my brand new SVS SBS-02 ans SCS-02 I could hear crackling sound and what I can now refer too as distortion since I'm more knowledgeable. Especially like the AVS forum post say, the sword hit and crowd sound is really harsh.

Also the part where the guy with red hair wig speak to the crown in the coliseum I can hear major crackling sound...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.