Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Got my Bermuda Beige from Lowes. Here is a picture of the tint values for 1 quart:

I'm still in the hunt for the N5 paint. The guy working in the paint department in my local Lowes could not find the Glidden paint "Grimmy's Grey" in his database. As soon as I have the N5, I can paint the screen.

The permanent rigid screen is completed except for the paint and border.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Got my Bermuda Beige from Lowes. Here is a picture of the tint values for 1 quart:

I'm still in the hunt for the N5 paint. The guy working in the paint department in my local Lowes could not find the Glidden paint "Grimmy's Grey" in his database. As soon as I have the N5, I can paint the screen.

The permanent rigid screen is completed except for the paint and border.
There are many ways to make a color so don't be too concerned if you find your BB made with tints no one else has gotten up till now. Also, the base paints changing at Lowe's could have something to do with this as well, I note that they are now going to lettered bases instead of numeric bases in some paints. The only thing that doesn't change is change itself. :whistling:

Just got back from a trip to Lowe's. Got a sample of PPG 'Flagstone' (supposedly a N7) and had the sample formula I got for N5 made into a quart of Super Flat (which has AGAIN changed labels and is now a 'paint and primer in one' paint - ugh - oh well, such is life). I'll prepare sample chits for both of these paints and report on them tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
68 Posts
There are many ways to make a color so don't be too concerned if you find your BB made with tints no one else has gotten up till now. Also, the base paints changing at Lowe's could have something to do with this as well, I note that they are now going to lettered bases instead of numeric bases in some paints. The only thing that doesn't change is change itself. :whistling:

Just got back from a trip to Lowe's. Got a sample of PPG 'Flagstone' (supposedly a N7) and had the sample formula I got for N5 made into a quart of Super Flat (which has AGAIN changed labels and is now a 'paint and primer in one' paint - ugh - oh well, such is life). I'll prepare sample chits for both of these paints and report on them tomorrow evening.
Harp,

I should have mentioned that my local Lowe's had both the old (Ultra Premium Flat Enamel) and new (Ultra Premium Super Flat Finish) bases that are equivalent. The guy grabbed the older one. I don't recall seeing "paint and primer in one" on the can but I wasn't really paying attention to that.

Do you know which pigment is "105"? I'm just trying to make sense of the pigments and the amounts used to make quart vs. gallon sizes. Just curiosity.

I should be ready to paint this weekend. I made a custom projector mount last night (which itself needs to be painted..:eek:) and I'll pick up hardware to hang the screen tonight. Should be mounting the projector Thursday night after getting painted tonight. Hopefully, I'll be painting the screen Friday after work and watching my first film on BW™ N6.4 :T

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Harp,

I should have mentioned that my local Lowe's had both the old (Ultra Premium Flat Enamel) and new (Ultra Premium Super Flat Finish) bases that are equivalent. The guy grabbed the older one. I don't recall seeing "paint and primer in one" on the can but I wasn't really paying attention to that.
The can of "Super Flat" I got today has a totally different label on it, and the base is now called "Base C" instead of base 4. Why in the world they have to mess around with a paint system that has worked for years is just crazy. My guess would be that making it sound new and different is supposed to boost sales somehow.

Do you know which pigment is "105"? I'm just trying to make sense of the pigments and the amounts used to make quart vs. gallon sizes. Just curiosity.
105 is the Valspar number for "Raw Umber" (think of it as a really dark yellow-brown with a hint of orange).

If the paint bases are the same all that needs to be done to increase tint amounts from a quart to a gallon is to multiply by 4.

I should be ready to paint this weekend. I made a custom projector mount last night (which itself needs to be painted..:eek:) and I'll pick up hardware to hang the screen tonight. Should be mounting the projector Thursday night after getting painted tonight. Hopefully, I'll be painting the screen Friday after work and watching my first film on BW™ N6.4 :T
Cool! :bigsmile: Wait a minute... how are you going to make BW™ N6.4 if you don't have any N5 to mix with the BB? :scratch:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Cool! :bigsmile: Wait a minute... how are you going to make BW™ N6.4 if you don't have any N5 to mix with the BB? :scratch:
I've been praying that the N5 mix you had made up in a 1 qt size and are testing tonight will work out. It's all on faith Harp :D

I do have a backup plan for the weekend however and it's called "Kilz2". I got my screen up last night and will likely put a coat of Kilz2 on it tonight. I can watch on that until the N5 is ready. It's all good :T

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Here are the results for the N5 Valspar ULTRA. Not too shabby. ;)

I'll take a photo of the paint can and label and post them tomorrow.

The paint is now called Valspar ULTRA Paint + Primer super flat interior. The part number on the can is 391017 Base C.

The tint formula for a quart is:
Base C
101 - 41 (Lamp Black)
107 - 5 (Yellow Oxide)
109 - 3 (Red Oxide)
113 - 1Y44 (White)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not to shabby indeed Harpmaker, and looks very promising and nice work on this so far as i am still waiting to get a screen itself and have to wait till i get some more cash so i can go out hunting for a hardboard etc..:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Harp,

Thanks for coming through on the N5! Awesome work :T

I will stop at Lowe's after work and get them to make me a quart. Looks like I'm painting tonight or Saturday morning.

If my local Lowe's doesn't have the Base C, what do you recommend?

Just to clarify, does the 1Y44 represent 1 + 44/48 fluid ounces?

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
If my local Lowe's doesn't have the Base C, what do you recommend?
Their computer can compensate for different bases, but try to get Base C if you can.

Just to clarify, does the 1Y44 represent 1 + 44/48 fluid ounces?
Correct. Even when buying black paint they add white tint to increase the paints "hiding power". If they are out of the proper base for a color they can use a more translucent base (or simply a can with less paint in it) and add white tint to compensate.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here are the paints I used for BW™ N6.4:

On the left is the Bermuda Beige

Center is AAA

Right is the N5.

I had the N5 made using Valspar Ultra Paint+Primer Flat Base C (391034). My local Lowe's did not have "super flat".

I've mixed 16 floz each of Bermuda Beige and N5, then mixed in 8 floz of AAA.

Friday night I painted on a couple of coats of Kilz2 over brown hardboard and let that dry overnight. Saturday morning, I mixed up the BW™ N6.4 and painted one coat. That's where I am at now.

Here are a couple of photos taken with my smartphone cam:

Gandalf from RotK

A shot from Food Network

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Here are the paints I used for BW™ N6.4:

On the left is the Bermuda Beige

Center is AAA

Right is the N5.

I had the N5 made using Valspar Ultra Paint+Primer Flat Base C (391034). My local Lowe's did not have "ultra flat".

I've mixed 16 floz each of Bermuda Beige and N5, then mixed in 8 floz of AAA.

Friday night I painted on a couple of coats of Kilz2 over brown hardboard and let that dry overnight. Saturday morning, I mixed up the BW™ N6.4 and painted one coat. That's where I am at now.
Everything looks good, but you got the N5 made in flat interior paint. The paint can number I gave in a previous post is for their SUPER FLAT finish, not flat. It's counter-intuitive (at least to me), but the super flat finish (which replaces their latex enamel) has a tad more gloss than their flat finish. But hey, no harm, no foul; you would probably have to see screens painted with flat and super flat side-by-side to see any differences.

Do you think your projected image is too dark with this mix? Do you see any hot spots or sparkles or graininess?

Those pics look pretty good for phone photos. :T

·
Registered
68 Posts
What's your subjective opinion so far?
Just got back from the fabric store...getting some 1.5" black velvet ribbon for the borders. I had to buy the store out to get what I needed...LOL.

Watched some different content earlier and I'm impressed with what it can do. Color is as neutral as my eye can tell. I've got quite a bit of ambient light coming in but the image still looks very watchable to me. As I am writing this, I am watching Watchmen Blu-Ray which has a lot of dark scenes and I can still make out a good amount of detail.

I want to do one more coat as I can see a few areas on the left side of the screen where I did not properly down-roll. You can only see it when there is a solid color across the screen.

At this point I can't see any hot/warm spotting. I feel it actually needs a little more sheen. Maybe the next coat will help. I think the Kilz2 primer underneath the first coat may be coming through just enough to give it a slight dullness.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Everything looks good, but you got the N5 made in flat interior paint. The paint can number I gave in a previous post is for their SUPER FLAT finish, not flat. It's counter-intuitive (at least to me), but the super flat finish (which replaces their latex enamel) has a tad more gloss than their flat finish. But hey, no harm, no foul; you would probably have to see screens painted with flat and super flat side-by-side to see any differences.

Do you think your projected image is too dark with this mix? Do you see any hot spots or sparkles or graininess?

Those pics look pretty good for phone photos. :T
Harp,

Yeah, the Lowe's didn't have a single can with "super flat" on it, not even in a full gallon. I had to pull the trigger however...and the tint formula seems to work well enough. I'll get you samples of all the components and the final mix. I knew it was going to be "flatter" when the paint they put on the top of the can dried. I compared to the SW satin finish I painted earlier and knew it was going to be a flatter finish.

The image is good on brightness...better than the SW N6 paint that was my temporary screen. I have one sparklie in the upper left corner. I am sitting about 20-30 degrees left of center. As for graininess, only a little on bright screens where the entire field is one color. Keep in mind I have vision that is slightly better than 20/20. I'm one of the lucky ones :bigsmile:

I left some other comments responding to mechman also and I'll continue to keep you up to date. I'm going to do a second coat in a little while.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good stuff.

I had a rather circuitous journey, but I hopefully have the materials to start on my screen. My luck at Lowes was mixed. They didn't have any base C in the paint+primer (supposedly the difference between A and C is how full the can is - A is too full to accept the quantity of tint that was spec'd), so they swapped for 'Valspar Signature' paint+primer Matte. To add insult to injury, their computer wouldn't pull up the correct tint formula for the VUP base for the BB, so they swapped for the Valspar Ultra Paint + Primer flat and tinted that.
So, I have both the BB and the N5, but neither are actually using the correct base. My hope is that this will result in at worst a minor shift, but I guess we'll see. I'm a bit concerned about Matte vs Flat - is Matte likely to be to far off to be useful?

I'm really unsure on how to proceed. If I had confidence in my ability to mix smaller quantities, I'd try some test samples. Otherwise, trying straight BW first is probably the wisest choice, and then move on to BW 6.4 if the BW doesn't seem dark enough.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Pyrometman, just to keep things straight, the correct paint finish is super flat, not ultra flat.

dwkdnvr, even though your Lowe's used the "wrong" paints I think you should still be in the ballpark with the paints they used. I think the Signature Matte is about the same gloss level as the old latex enamel, but I'll have to pull up some Valspar TDS data to find out for sure. If you would like to test the BB and N5 paints that you have just make up 1" square samples of them on white cardboard (or even an index card) and mail them to me or Mech. If you're interested just PM either of us for our addresses.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Painted a second coat today. The dullness I saw yesterday must have been the Kilz2 primer coming through. It looks much better today. The image has some depth that wasn't there before the second coat.

I watched "The Grey" on Blu-Ray today and it looked good being that there is a lot of snow scenes in the movie...and also a lot of dark scenes.

Caught Megan Fox on Transformers:

Only a little graininess on when the image is a white field. I can't find any sparklies on this coat. The brightness is a bit better than yesterday as well.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
The brightness is a bit better than yesterday as well.
As the paint cures more of the aluminum flakes come into play. I don't think you will see much improvement after 7 days, but you might if you have a lot of humidity.

41 - 60 of 104 Posts