Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks i cant wait. I had all the mdf cut exactly perfect to the specs i am glueing it together now. I have the black velvet but i need to buy the mouse pads tomorrow. New 2:39 screen tomorrow and finishing DIY centre speaker with black wood grain vynil laminate. Oh and making 5 bass traps this week end plus 2 corner traps floor to ceiling. Cheers

·
Registered
232 Posts
I used your measurements exactly. I noticed there is a bracket around the lens for adjustment I will be making it tomorrow. If I can work out how to attach a pic I could show you my build but right now I cant see how to do it in a reply.

I painted my sub today in black metal finish looks great next I will be making a grill for it with speaker cloth. cheers

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
To add photo's to your post you will need to put the pics into a program like Photobucket..
You then select "Go Advanced" on the reply form..so you can preview your post.
Copy the IMG link of the photo in Photobucket, and paste it directly to your post..

·
Registered
613 Posts
It can't hurt to black out the sides that you don't want light to exit from. I actually want to black out the edges of my high end cylindrical lenses.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
That's good to hear THX!

Unfortunately that black paint won't be suitable..Even though it's black, it will look glossy through the edge of the prism, and still reflect light..
What you need is stated here..It's the only product I know of that's readily available..and it's the flattest black possible..When applied it looks like the chemical black that's used inside camera lenses..

"It's a 2 part application..consisting of a glass primer and a carbon black fluid acrylic..
This product is available from Artists supplies..The brand I found was Jo Sonja's..which I bought online.."

·
Registered
232 Posts
I finished my Anamorphic lens today 3 weeks in the making wow Prof my 2.39 DIY sreen looks amazing and the picture WOW CINEMA at home YEAH. thanks for all help Prof i will post pics tomorrow.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Glad to hear that you've got it finished and working nicely Mr THX..:yay: :clap:
I'm only too happy to have helped you and to have another anamorphic enthusiast in the making..
I'll look forward to seeing some pics of your work..

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a small problem the picture lines up ok on the sides of the screen but i cant get the picture to fill the screen top and bottom i have a grey bar top and bottom and the bottom line has a slight arc (Curve) How can i get it to fill the top and bottom ie the whole screen? i have played with the prisms but i cant get it to fill the screen.

When the projector is on i get the blue screen it fills the screen but it goes off the screen at the bottom on an angle greater on one side. I need help please Prof.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
OK..To set up the lens correctly, you need to do the following...
You may have done some of this already, but I'll just go through the whole procedure in the correct sequence..

Anamorphic lens removed..

1. Firstly, set the zoom on the projector to minimum..
2. Play a 16:9 movie and make sure that the image is centred on the screen and fills the height of the screen..
If it doesn't, you can do one of two things..
Zoom the image to fill the screen height, or don't zoom and move the projector back to fill the screen..
The latter is preferable but not always possible..
A small amount of zoom will be ok..

Anamorphic lens in position..

Once you have the 16:9 image filling the screen, move the lens into position, making sure that the projector lens is centred within the prisms, and the anamorphic lens is square to the projector..

Adjust the tilt of lens so that you have a small amount of overspill top and bottom..
If the prisms have been positioned correctly, you will also have a small amount of overspill at the sides..Otherwise, you will need to adjust the front and back prisms until you have the image filling the width of the screen..
If you have overspill on one side and not the other, don't move the lens left or right to compensate..The prisms need adjusting if that's the case..

The curved image at the top and bottom is known as "pincushion" and cannot be avoided..
The longer the throw ratio, the less pincushion you will have..
Providing you have good light absorbing black borders on your screen, you won't notice it..

I hope that fixes your problem..

·
Registered
232 Posts
ok the only problem i have now is the pic goes off the screen at the bottom about 100mm it does line up good on the top and sides. any ideas Prof?

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
It sounds like the lens needs to be tilted up or down, so that you get the same curved part of the image equidistant top and bottom..
If your projector is tilting slightly up or down, you might have to adjust the tilt on the projector to line it up parallel to the lens..
It is most critical that every thing is perfectly aligned..
It sounds like you're almost there..Just a little more adjustment needed

·
Registered
232 Posts
Problem fixed. I moved the projector closer ( i thought this but i hoped i could fix it without re positioning the lens and pj) Now the problem i got tonight when iwas about to watch a movie for the first time, the pj powered up then when off with the power light RED and the temp light on RED then after a minute turns off.

I had this problem last year i simply blew compressed air through the front to remove dust and it worked. Tried to do it again with air and no go. I am dying to watch a movie with my new screen set up

41 - 60 of 170 Posts