Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 170 Posts

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
How disappointing when you've just got the projector and lens set up properly! :rant:

If the temp. light has come on just after you've started the projector, it could be that the fan is not working, in which case the unit would power off..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All,

I'm a completely new to this excisting world of home theatre.

I have dedicated home theatre room, size is 3855 long x 4280 wide.

Planning on using JVC HD550 projector.

I would like to embark on the journey of building my own Anamorphic Lens as well documented by the professor. My question is would anamorphic setup work in a room of this size with 100" Screen???

Your help is very much apprciated.
Thanking you in advance.

Abe

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Hi Abe and welcome..

Are you projecting down the length of the room or across the width?
I can only presume that it would be the length, unless there is a reason why you can't do that..
If it's the length then 14' with a 100" screen will be fine for anamorphic projection..

My room is 15' long and I'm projecting onto a 106" Scope screen..sitting 9'6" back from the screen..so you should be fine..
Nice projector choice!.:T

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi ya, Thanks for the quick reply. I will be projecting down the room, 3855mm which I believe equals
12.64 feet. This doesn't take into account the length of the projector. Do you believe 100" Ananmorphic projection will still work in a room of this size.

Best Regards,
Abe

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Abe,

If your projection length is approx.12' then the projector you're proposing to use won't be suitable..
The HD550 is a long throw projector and according to the projectorcentral calculator, probably wouldn't fill a 100" scope image in that length..
To use a 100" scope screen in that length, you're going to need a shorter throw projector..
Why can't you project down the 14' dimension of that room? Then you would be able to use the JVC..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi There, Apprciate the help however I'm now more confused than ever before. Getting conflicting information from different sources.

I looked into buying a LP Morgan Lens for use with HD500 projector.
Seller said they physically setup in a room of my size 3855mm (12.64 ft) and fit to 100" screen using this projector. This is a big investment for me, obviously need to be carefull & don't want to buy just because they say it will work.

I cannot change config of room due to location of door & window.

Apprciate your thoughts on this.

Kind Regards,
Abe

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Abe,

According to the projectorcentral calculator (which most people use to calculate projection distance) the HD550 set at 12' back from the screen, will require a scope screen with a height of 44"..That would mean having your screen width at 105".. and that calculates to a 114" diagonal screen..
Here are the details..http://www.projectorcentral.com/JVC-DLA-HD550-projection-calculator.htm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Prof, thanks for the info. So are you saying I can get 100" Anamorphic to work in a room of my size???

Cheers & Best Regards,
Abe

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Yes..Looking at the calculator for a 100" scope screen with no zoom on that projector, the projector would be approx.8.5' back..
That's going to give you a very bright image from that distance!..

·
Registered
613 Posts
[commercial post] Mods please remove if inappropriate.

The topic of making a 4 prism DIY lens has once again come to my attention. In short, you need two prisms of different angles that are made of different materials that once bonded (with opposing apexes), form a new doublet prism. The use of 4 identical prisms does not correct CA.

If I was able to get enough interest, I might be able to produce a short order run.

·
Registered
613 Posts
The prisms from SS are the same prisms also known as "the French" prisms. Whilst they are made from BK7 and do feature optic coatings, they are not corrected for CA or astigmatism. They are actually quite small as well at about 80mm tall, so your throw needs to be quite long.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Hi Mark.

Think I'm OK there. My PJ 'jvc350' is 16ft away from my screen at present, and could go back another 4.5ft if required.

I would possibly use a 2.39 108" wide screen.

61 - 80 of 170 Posts