Registered
6 Posts
So after my introduction I started reading through the
Anamorphic Projection section and who do I find but my friend
Mark Techer!

For those of you that want to jump down to the reason I am
posting in this thread and skip the flashback, go to the
bottom of the text in italics

For those who care about the backstory read on....

**flashback music begins....screens fades away in waves.....**

I met Mark in 2004 on another HT forum.
Not too long after, he started talking about Scope and lost me in a blur of fuzzy math....but caught my attention back when I realized what in the he was talking about.
Mark had already moved way down the path of his own solution when in 2006 I won an MK1 in a competition on that other forum. (No, not the one you are thinking of....this was a much smaller forum)

We have stayed in touch via email over the years.

In 2009, My wife, son and I went to Australia on vacation
(holiday for the Aussies here).
We spent about a month in Brisbane and I got to see several
really nice Home Theaters (Alot of which had added some
version of the MK lens to their HT)

Jump to 2010, we caught up again at CEDIA in Atlanta. My wife
and I drove down for the weekend just to catch up and I
started talking to Mark about my new house and my new
plans....

**flashback music fades......screen fades in waves back to the

high definition clarity of the present.....**

Now it's 2011 and my new HT is getting ready to become a
reality and I approached Mark about a possible DIY version of
the MK4. I wasn't sure how he would take my asking about
taking the lens he worked so hard to get just right and putting it in a case I would make....but he was very supportive.
He mentioned a special offer that he was able to get in January for glass only for the MK4.
Just about a week ago I received an awesome package in the
mail!!!

Woohooo :bigsmile:My glass is here and I am ready to start designing my
case.

I have some great ideas and this looks like the perfect thread to log my progress.

Attachments

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Welcome to the forum..

By all means post your details and progress with making up the MK.4..I for one will be most interested to see how it works out as I'm sure others will be as well..

If Mark is making a kit type lens available for the MK.4, then others may be interested in takiing this up as well..

·
Registered
613 Posts
If Mark is making a kit type lens available for the MK.4, then others may be interested in takiing this up as well..
It had been on the "to do" list for some time. The challenge to making a DIY cylindrical is that the alignment of the two lenses is critical. Whilst a DIY prism lens allows for a fair amount of hit and miss, near enough is not good enough when you are using cylindrical lenes, and so I need to be mindful of this when designing the DIY case parts as well or no one will be able to assemble the lens.

The ONLY way to align the two lenses is to use single display lines mapped at 1:1 with the projector and you need to ensure the glass is 100% vertically aligned.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Could you not make up some sort of simple jig to align the lenses that could be included in the kit..
I wouldn't even worry about including a case..This is something most people could make themselves if you included a drawing of the case with dimensions..

·
Registered
613 Posts
There are three axis to consider and whilst X (depth) is variable, Y (width) and Z (height) MUST be aligned correctly or the or the lens won't focus properly and I haven't even mentioned rotation. You might remember I included a paper check test included with the Mk1. This is nothing like this, and the ONLY way to get this correct is to use single display pixel lines that run in both the H and V directions. So the DIY case I am creating will allow all the adjustments and (hopefully) allow you to get the best from the lens in your system.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I see your point..This is not really a DIY case that just anyone can make up..
Looking forward to hearing further developments..
Not exactly a true DIY job. What I will do this week is draw up all the parts for the laser cutter to run me a prototype. After I have assembled it and worked any bugs out (I have a spare set of optics here for testing purposes), I will be able to start a production run. The end user could assemble this case themselves. The point is that there is a great deal of accuracy required in the design, so why I feel it is best to have all the parts duplicated from a machine rather than having each DIY lens being essentially a one off.

The idea here is to offer an "affordable" solution to a high end problem. The challenge I face is that there seems to be a belief system in place that anything DIY is cheap. This glass used in this lens is not cheap and the cost cutting exercise here is the case where the machined alloy cases are expensive to produce forcing the price of the MK4 up to its listed price. Take that out of the equation and you have a very good product that more could afford.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
So each case is machined individually!?..That would be expensive..
Obviously, Injection Moulding would be a lot cheaper, but off course that's only practical with a large quantity of units..I see your dilemma..

·
Registered
613 Posts
So each case is machined individually!?..That would be expensive..
Obviously, Injection Moulding would be a lot cheaper, but off course that's only practical with a large quantity of units..I see your dilemma..
The joys of machining. For this case, the most economic way to do the case is to laser cut the plastic parts. That way, the case should be less than $100 each.

Others here may (like myself) have access to equipment to cut and machine a case as well.. So I am listening for sure.
Given the price of the glass, is the little extra for a tested design really too much?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys,

Sorry I have been out of touch since my post....We are making a lot of changes at work that had me working all last weekend and very long days this week. Once the dust settles around these servers I will start posting my progress.

I have a few ideas about my case but before I start actually putting anything together I thought I would set them up in front of my PJ to get a feel for where they should sit. I see what Mark is talking about on being VERY precise. This case will have to be very carefully crafted (laser cut plastic might be ideal) or designed or at minimum it will need to have a least 3 fine tuning adjustments to get the lens setup correctly.

This weekend is set to be gorgeous (weather wise) and I hope to get out in the garage open the door and see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Laser cut plastic is probably the most affordable and accurate method to make the lens holders.

Given the rear lens is some 19mm think, my new DIY case will be made from 2 layers of 10mm (bonded) with a cutout of 80mm in each, and have a 2mm plates front and black (back plate will be bonded, front plate will be screwed down) with a cutout of 76mm. I'll also use the same 76/2mm O Rings that I use in the MK4. This way the lens can't move and is sealed once installed and aligned.

I've been working on this new case for 4 days now and I am still finding things I need to change. Lucky I find it fun to do this stuff.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Ok after about 2 weeks of painstakingly drawing and redrawing this new "DIY lens" case, I finally am ready to take the design to a fabricator to make the prototype. This will probably take another 10~14 days. The reason for this post is simply to let you guys know I am all over this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sweet Mark!! Keep me posted......I have been swamped at work...the new building is nearing completion so all of the projects I have been working on are about to be installed...((Video Wall (Qty12 55" screens) access control, distributed audio, audio for Basketball court, gym,fitness room.....)) As fun as it sounds to be able to spend money that is not yours to get some really nice equipment....It can still be stressful!

Let me know when you get that case back from the cutting shop.

81 - 100 of 170 Posts