Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

101 - 120 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Mark..With the case for the Mk. 4 lens.. is it just the spacing and vertical alignment of the lens elements that's critical, or are there other aspects to consider?
Spacing between the lenses as well as alignment of the two lenses. They must be perfectly aligned to each other on all three axis. An issue I identified with batch 1 was that the front lens had a very small degree of movement (part was 0.25mm undersized) that allowed the front lens to yaw. This was enough to prevent the lens from focusing corner to corner. That was fixed in batch 2.

So I have to make sure I don't allow movement in the wrong directions for this project.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Wow!..only .25mm. out and it wouldn't focus..I see what you mean about it having to be spot on!
As an example of how precise these lenses are, the difference between being able to see inter pixel gaps and not on a 1080P can be a difference of less than 1/8th of a turn of the cap screw on the front of the MK4. It runs on a standard M6 thread.

·
Registered
613 Posts
It is because it uses real lenses. Prisms bend light and that is about the limit of the of the science there.

·
Registered
613 Posts
OK I picked up the prototype today and assembled it. Yeah it is a work in progress. I need to go back to my CADs because there are holes that do not line up and a few holes are not on the parts they should be. Easily correctable, just time lost is annoying. All I can say is it is HUGE and looks so cool.

·
Registered
613 Posts
So I put some glass in the prototype case last night and it weighs allot :flex:. I would say +5KG at least :T

·
Registered
613 Posts
Are there any adjusters for the elements? The drawing doesn't seem to show any.. or is it that once they're in place, no further adjustment will be required?
I've drawn the lens in its fully extended position of what should be 150mm. The case is telescopic, so collapses to about 100mm. This gives you the extended throw range where the shorter the throw, the shorter the lens will be.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Mark..What purpose does the smaller base plate under the main plate serve?
It seems like if the lens was inverted and suspended from the ceiling, it might be in the way of a sliding track system!

101 - 120 of 170 Posts