Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been emailing Kevin and thinking of ideas for my new sub. I've been useing winisd to look at different designs. My goal is for a small footprint to replace my paradigm pw2200 that I blew up. I've been useing the dayton 1000watt rack amp for a while. I've relized its not enough power for the mal but should get me by untill I can buy the face amp. Now I'm trying to pick the box I want. Wait for the new 21 and put it in a 28x28x20 sealed box. My amp will have a rough time with this I think. Or a pr 18 mal.

I've been thinking this one out and want some opinions from here. The mals need a big box and I dont want a huge plain box looking at me. I've modeled a 21" cube thats 40" high. In order to spice it up a bit I was thinking about useing 4 of the expr15. Downfireing malx with 2 15prs on each side. Thinking maybe a birch plywood box with oak trim and table top. No grills, counter sink the prs for a flush mount. This option will cost more but it is something different.

This will be used for mostly home theater but it needs to sound good with rock and heavy metal, I thought my paradigm did ok. The goal is to get more bass than needed so I dont stress the woofer and wind up with another blown sub. I'm also confused as to what Hz I should tune the prs too. I have them modeled at 17 now but can go up or down. I'm planning on picking up the sms1 to help set it up and give me some readings. I've been looking at this for a while and can't make up my mind. I always come back to the exodus audio subs though. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
63 Posts
If it's an option, I vote for twin 18" sealed in separate boxes. Roughly at least as good as a PR'd single, and should provide smoother in-room response. And should go deeper than a PR, and not require a subsonic filter. In smaller, easier-to-place boxes. What's not to like? Well, other than the additional amp...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No room for two subs and amps. Kevin really makes it hard when he post stuff like this on the new 21

The Maelstrom 21 – it is a BEAST. The two protos are dead-quiet even at 60mm p-p at 15 Hz. One of my car audio clients was with me today, and his jaw hit the ground when he saw that sucker moving and not making a sound. DEAD silent, and it’s a monster.
Its hard to say no to a 21" monster moving like that. With a big amp and eq it should go pretty deep without a problem. Hard to make a choice with all these killer options.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
No room for two subs and amps. Kevin really makes it hard when he post stuff like this on the new 21

Its hard to say no to a 21" monster moving like that. With a big amp and eq it should go pretty deep without a problem. Hard to make a choice with all these killer options.
My advice is to buy both. :bigsmile:

Either one is likely to give you great results. These are all overkill drivers so pick your poison and build something that will cause your wife some grief. :hide:

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes thats the goal. I may have to wait and save for a 21. That has to be one monster of a sub. Does the face 1200 need a seperate ac outlet? I have a monster power strip that gives me amp readouts and it stays around 4-6 with everything running, might have got it around 8 at extreme levels. Only time I got it screaming was when I hooked a set of infinity kappa perfects to my hk7300 at 4ohms and cranked it wide open. Got up to 15amps then.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright I see the sale on the face ts700 amps and it got me thinking. Im trying to save space so I drew up some new tv stands. There was no way to fit an 18 or even a 15 and have it hold all my gear, but it will hold 4 shivas. 2 on each side in a 3.66ft3 box. The new shivas are supposed to work in smaller boxes and handle more power. If they stay dual 8ohms im figuring that each side could be wired at 2ohms and ran stereo off the ts700 at 1350watts for plenty of headroom. This is close to the same price as one 21 and should have more output. Amp should draw less power and have lots of headroom plus the subs would be right beside my mains and could be crossed over higher. I'm thinking this sounds like a better plan.
Kevin I guess the parameters for the new shivas wont be out till they're in. Is 40% off msrp what you would sell the amp for with sub purchase or would that be an even better deal? I've always been a fan of multiple speakers. With my paradigm setup I have 16 61/2s and I love it. 4 12s would look awsome with the my monitor 11 towers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i just read were the new shivas are the last thing coming in. Would 2 of the current shivas be ok in a 3.6ft3 box, the qtc was a little high? I was looking at 4 to get the ohms right for the amp. Would this be a good application for the old shivas or should I wait it out. I come up with a different idea every week. This last one seem to be the best so far for space and tying everything together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts