Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Looks good. That should be one mean sub if it gets built :hsd:(And I hope it does). It's big but some people have 18" EBS ported subs that big. Do not forget the wheels on it, you'll need them.

I'm about to start trying to fold up my B&C TH I want to build this weekend. nerd:
What kind of wheels would you recommend I use for it? The main areas of the house are hard wood, but my room has fairly thick carpet. Would the wheels help or hinder there?

How can I get the dimensions to appear in sketchup? This is about my second time using this program :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
I believe the wheels were mentioned with regards to how heavy this thing will be. You do have a dolly, right? :D

Let me know it you need any help with the dimensions.

As for the stuffing, a little poly batting can be used around the rear of the driver, and up to the mouth. You could also use some open celled foam, or some cheap egg crate. You don't want to use a lot though, as it starts to lower the SPL. It is only there to help dampen any higher frequency content bleeding off the rear of the driver some, as the high frequencies from the front of the driver are dampened by the folds.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #145 (Edited)
I believe the wheels were mentioned with regards to how heavy this thing will be. You do have a dolly, right? :D

Let me know it you need any help with the dimensions.

As for the stuffing, a little poly batting can be used around the rear of the driver, and up to the mouth. You could also use some open celled foam, or some cheap egg crate. You don't want to use a lot though, as it starts to lower the SPL. It is only there to help dampen any higher frequency content bleeding off the rear of the driver some, as the high frequencies from the front of the driver are dampened by the folds.
To find the measurements in sketchup, I'm using the tale measure icon. Is that the right way to find the measurements, or is there too much room for error using that tool?

This is off topic, but it doesn't need a new thread. When I turn on my Antimode, the power, and the "Lift 25" lights are turned on. It's only recently started lighting the "Lift 25" light on startup. Any advice as to why it's doing that?

Oh, and happy thanksgiving everyone :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
To find the measurements in sketchup, I'm using the tale measure icon. Is that the right way to find the measurements, or is there too much room for error using that tool?
You can use the Tape Measure. You just have to click on the corner node points of the piece you are after.

All the wood is 18mm thick. The rest will take a little decision making, as you need to decide which panels to cut to the full corner length, and which get the butt joint. There is also the issue of mounting the driver in there. Will you be able to do it from the mouth, or will you need an access panel?

If you aren't 100% sure on anything let me know, and I'll bump the priority up for the 2d build sheets.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
You can use the Tape Measure. You just have to click on the corner node points of the piece you are after.

All the wood is 18mm thick. The rest will take a little decision making, as you need to decide which panels to cut to the full corner length, and which get the butt joint. There is also the issue of mounting the driver in there. Will you be able to do it from the mouth, or will you need an access panel?

If you aren't 100% sure on anything let me know, and I'll bump the priority up for the 2d build sheets.
I was thinking that I would need an access panel to mount the driver. Unless there's an easy way to mount the driver from the mouth?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #148

Is there any special place where I should put the access panel? I don't want to mess anything up somehow with the placement of the panel. Haha.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
I had my Uncle look at the box today; we should be able to start building it as soon as I get some free time from school.

Question in Sketchup. When using the "Dimension" tool, you can get multiple different measurements. Which is the right one that I should follow?

For example:

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/airsoftsniperm4/question.jpg

(the image version of the picture wouldn't show up for some reason??)

Which measurement should I use? The 40 15/26", or the 41 13/16"?? It should be the later one, correct?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yes, the latter one that is parallel to the plane being measured. Always check with the Tape Measure after setting a Dimension. Measure twice cut once, applies here as well.

From earlier the position of the access door does not matter. Where ever you feel it will give you the best working room is fine. The right side would be my choice. That way you can drop the driver straight down, when the enclosure is tipped to the left. It also allows equal coverage to all bolt/screw heads.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
soho54 said:
Yes, the latter one that is parallel to the plane being measured. Always check with the Tape Measure after setting a Dimension. Measure twice cut once, applies here as well.

From earlier the position of the access door does not matter. Where ever you feel it will give you the best working room is fine. The right side would be my choice. That way you can drop the driver straight down, when the enclosure is tipped to the left. It also allows equal coverage to all bolt/screw heads.
Alright, I'll put the access panel on the right side as you said. It would definitely be the best place to put it.

I've gotten a cut list drawn up, and figured out all the dimensions for the internal cuts as well. Seems like this build should be easy, granted the cutting goes well.

Will I need to run an HPF once this is built? Maybe just a precautionary one at 10hz or so?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
For a finish on the box, I'm thinking about either veneering it like the furniture in my room, or a truck bed liner black. If I do the truck bed liner, would plexiglas be a bad idea to put around the driver? I would also want some sort of lighting to go in the box with it also. What kind of lights should I use??

·
Registered
165 Posts
Wow:blink:. I can't say I've ever seen a design like that for a sub.

Edit: Ok I get it now. That's an awesome design for a push/pull relationship to keep the air volume constant.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
I should be able to start the build after Christmas sometime. How would a plexiglass section of 20" wide x 22" tall x 3/4" thick hold up on a side next to the sub?

Also, would these lights hold up well against all the pressure and vibrations from the sub?

http://www.directron.com/cxf20bl.html

141 - 157 of 157 Posts