Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father in law owns some movie theaters and is building a theater room in his house. He will be using processing equipment from his movie theater which means all amplifiers will be in a rack, including sub amps.

Can any of you recommend some manufactured passive subwoofers? I would build him a pair of subs but my life has zero time for a DIY project at the moment, hence why I'm looking for manufactured goods.

I've looked a little bit on google but either there aren't many options out there or the companies that do make passive subs need to work on their SEO skills.

I'm looking for dual 12" or 15" subs.

Thanks for your help.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,377 Posts
The days of passive subwoofers appear to be (temporarily?) over. Few companies make them any longer because of the proliferation of inexpensive, high quality plate amps. In the DIY space they're still plentiful, but manufacturers are shunning them at this point in time. Like most things it may be cyclical, but right now there are few options it seems.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the links. I sent SVS an email so we will see what they say. The CHT option is cool and I will be looking into that a little more.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For reference here, I contacted SVS and was simply told that they do not offer anything passive any longer...moving on.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This weekend I sent my in laws an email with my recommendations. It included dual SS-18.1's along with the Monitor audio silver line of speakers for his 9 channel setup.

If he goes with it I won't be able to hear it until Christmas time but he will be ordering it sometime in October.

It may be a while but I'll hopefully update the thread with some pictures once things are set up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you ever find yourself in Utah I have a powered Funk Audio 18.0 and will very soon have dual SS18.2's w/2 SA1000's you can have a listen to.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Another vote for Chase Home Theater. My brother has dual SS18.1's. Very powerful subs in a small(relatively) package. Very good sounding speakers. Let us know what they get.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts