Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marantz (D+M Group) - Room 1026

*Also includes Boston Acoustics as part of D+M Group.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/gallery/file.php?n=13200

No code has to be inserted here.

This room used no treatment.

Joe's Impressions

The finish on the M350 speakers was well done, and the slim design allows for more flexibility in placement. Vocal imaging was perfect - dead center with the female part of the Roger Waters track imaging to our left. Vocal dynamics were handled very well - the Melody Gardot track stood out most for me with its very smooth sound as well as the Angel track with its wide dynamic range.

Instrument separation was good - I was able to discern each instrument clearly. Detail was surprising for me - I was not expecting to be able to hear the amount of detail that I did. Guitar string plucks, high hat strikes, and piano keystrokes were solid - not quite the detail I heard on a few other systems, but oh so close that it took a bit of time to ensure I heard it. I especially liked the banjo sequence during the Mumford and Sons track - very twangy with nice plucking.

Overall, I really liked this system - it was very close to some of the best systems of the weekend for me at a much lower price point - well worth the investment.

Sonnie's Impressions

I just wanted to say that since my complaint of the previous Boston Acoustic speakers I owned several years ago, BA seems to have come a long way. I was very impressed with these towers and believe they would fit nicely in one of our future $2,500 speakers evaluation events. I was actually surprised by how smooth they sounded. No doubt the Marantz gear played a big part in their sound with some of their reference gear on hand.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I understand that the price on NA-11S1 is $3499 retail.

Did they mention about any firmware upgrade for SA11-S3, to be able to play DSD files?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Good to hear the Boston Acoustic speakers were better than earlier offerings. I really like the pricing info with the products, but I do wonder how well the super expensive stuff actually sells.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Interesting that you commented about the Boston Acoustics speakers. I purchased a pair of Paradigm Studio 60's a few years ago after listening to several speakers in the same price range. I was comparing speakers from 4 different manufacturers and it came down to either Boston Acoustics or the Paradigms.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have used BA speakers in various settings and they have always seemed a good value for the quality. It appears they are continuing to move forward in their designs. If their high end offerings are improved that also means that their mid priced speakers will benefit also.

Good work.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Why such little discussion of the Marantz products in the booth? Were you able to switch between sources and amps during your demo?

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Why such little discussion of the Marantz products in the booth? Were you able to switch between sources and amps during your demo?
As there were so many rooms at the show, we tried to hit as many rooms with systems set up as we could. While we would have loved to hit every single one, the show is unfortunately only 3 days long. In order to hit every room, we would have had to have done what I saw a number of other press members do - stop in a room for a couple minutes and leave.

We did not switch between amps and sources during our session.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What was the overall impression of Marant AVRs? Did the marantz seem to generally exceed the similar level denon in performance and form factor. What I need is the power of a 45xx, but the sound of the Marantz. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
What was the overall impression of Marant AVRs? Did the marantz seem to generally exceed the similar level denon in performance and form factor. What I need is the power of a 45xx, but the sound of the Marantz. Any thoughts?
To be honest, I prefer the sound of the Denon 4520 (which I now own), but it may not be a good comparison because I now have many hours of listening to the Denon while I only had a short time with this system.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Regarding the track(s) you heard, what was the source device? Vinyl or digital?
The room was set up for both, but he only played digital while we were there. We brought a disc along, so most of what we heard was tracks we had listened to in many other rooms to do our best to take recordings out of the equation.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sounds like a sound decision. I visited a high end audio retailer a few weeks ago, and in addition to the rep's I insistance that we listen to speakers in an oversized, inadequately treated room, he didn't have any music I was familiar with(my mistake). Needless to say, it was a complete waste of time and a disservice to the speakers I had wanted to hear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts