Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm contemplating upgrading from my SACD player to a true Universal player, and upgrading my AVR while I'm at it.

I've always been rather fond of Marantz equipment (and my experience with it is good too) so I'm leaning towards a UD5005 or UD7006. No worries there.

For the AVR, I have a number of requirements including
- DSD decoding from HDMI input
- Dolby Digital Plus & TrueHD
- DTS-HD MA
- Dolby Pro Logic IIz
- at least 7.1ch output with height channels (and rear center speaker as in Dolby Digital EX 6.1ch?)
- Audyssey MultEQ XT
- Phono input
Nice to have for me is:
- DLNA
- USB input
- Audyssey MultEQ XT32
- Audyssey DSX
- iPhone remote app
- Airplay

For the AVR, I'm leaning towards the SR6004. Other, newer Marantz receivers and home theater amps seem great too -- I would not turn down an SR6005 ;) -- but there's one really weird thing:

If I'm not mistaken, the first few Marantz SACD players with HDMI did not output DSD, even while some of their receivers with HDMI input such as the SR5004 and SR6004 could handle the signal. That has now changed: New players like the UD5005 and UD7006 can deliver DSD but Marantz' recent receivers like the SR6005, SR7005 and even the AV7005 no longer support it. The same is true for the newest SR5006 and SR6006.

Surely 176.4 kHz 24-bit 5.1ch PCM will not sound bad but it seems like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing (read: product management of the SACD/BD players on the one hand and that of AV receivers on the other). Is this a strange disconnect or am I missing something?

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
I have an early Marantz uni player that I saved a lot of money on when the new 5.1 HDMI capable player came out. 5.1 isn't a priority in my 2 channel system. That is rather strange they would choose to dump the capability to receive the signal. :dontknow:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well you can still connect the SACD player and the receiver and get the signal via HDMI, only not in its pure bitstream form -- it's transcoded to high-resolution PCM.

Unless I combine a UD7006 and SR6004 for instance, I guess.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts