• Independent Audio Board for Improved Sound
  • Simple Set-up with MRAC Auto Calibration
  • Component Video x3 Inputs / x1 Output
  • Analog Audio Inputs x5, Digital Audio Inputs x3
  • Marantz Remote D-Bus In/Out Jacks
  • Detachable Power Cord
  • On Screen Display for Setup through HDMI out
  • Glow Key, Precode Remote Control

I just bought this two days ago and I am still learning the intricacy of the setup and calibration - I'll be able to give a better review once I've had time to real dig into it's nuances.

However, at first glance: I do like the look and full of the receiver - I was surprised by how short this receiver truly was. The Harman Kardon AVR154 that I previously owned was easily double the height.

The OSD is easy to configure - I did have to allow for alittle acclimation as it was slightly different than the H/K OSD - with that said, the Marantz OSD seemed dumbed down and remedial...perhaps it simply doesn't need as much configuring head-room...I'm not sure yet. I'll continue to tinker.

The audio codecs shine here - full suite of Dolby and DTS, including the TrueHD and Master Audio lossless codecs. I have set up my two other surrounds for full 7.1 and perhaps that is why Dolby Digital ES sounded much more dramatic than when I switch to TrueHD (Bourne Ultimatum) ... again, some tinkering is in store.

Let's talk about what I don't like: no pre-amp outs mean no headroom for expansion in the amplification area (which I may not need since the room I currently have setup doesn't need that much power pumped through the soundstage....unless I'm trying to peel paint off the walls!)
Secondly, no 5.1 analog inputs...however, since I am going full HDMI, this isn't really a huge issue.
Third: no zone two or zone three. Again, since I'm planning on doing 7.1, this isn't a show stopper - however, I was kinda looking forward to setting up a second area, perhaps the back patio, with some speakers.

Buying the Marantz over the H/K AVR1600 or even the more feature-rich AVR254 was truly a leap of faith. I've heard of the brand name, I like what I've heard about them, yet there were some sacrifices when I picked it out. If worse comes to worse, I still have a highly desirable brand name that will serve me well in the 2nd-hand sell-off area. Let's hope it shines, so I don't have re-wire!

I'll submit another review once I've had time to truly settle it in - till then, I remain luke warm.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Great thoughts, Aaron! Definitely keep us posted with your thoughts after more time with it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jon! I'm usually a pretty optimistic and objective personal - so I tried not to go into this receiver with any expectations. I'm definitely gonna set up the soundstage correctly and run it through its paces before I come back with a definitive opinion. :D

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Additional observations:
Pro: I like that they have a different type of speaker terminal for the surround backs to distinguish them from the "main" channels.
Con: There is no network or streaming facility.

·
Banned
601 Posts
Additional observations:
Pro: I like that they have a different type of speaker terminal for the surround backs to distinguish them from the "main" channels.
Con: There is no network or streaming facility.
Another take:
Con: I would have like the surround back speaker terminals to be the same as the other ones. :bigsmile:

Pro: And I'd rather use my computer in my computer room, and not in my livingroom, to do the streaming duties. :bigsmile:

But to each one it's own.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Another take:
Con: I would have like the surround back speaker terminals to be the same as the other ones. :bigsmile:

Pro: And I'd rather use my computer in my computer room, and not in my livingroom, to do the streaming duties. :bigsmile:

But to each one it's own.
I guess we cancel each other out! I was considering this for my little den system where I would like an all-in-one box that is as pluripotential yet small as possible.

·
Banned
601 Posts
I was considering this for my little den system where I would like an all-in-one box that is as pluripotential yet small as possible.
Oh I see.

* But still, spring clips for the surround back speakers? I guess you won't use these anyway in your den.

Well, almost good to go Kal, just missing that Ethernet port. Shout! :ponder:

Pst! "Pluripotential"?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Oh I see.

* But still, spring clips for the surround back speakers? I guess you won't use these anyway in your den.
Right. And having them different makes it less likely I would do so by mistake.

Well, almost good to go Kal, just missing that Ethernet port. Shout! :ponder:
Yup. I have Ethernet, router and PC in that room, so I would have to add another box to get streaming/downloads into the Marantz.

Pst! "Pluripotential"?
I guess multipotential would be a better term but pluripotential reveals my background in biology.

·
Banned
601 Posts
You're getting younger Kal. You like simplicity in differentiating, and are up to date with the Internet. :T

* But I'm sorry, "Multipontential" and "Pluripotential" are two big of a words for me. :blink:

Regards Kal,
Bob

·
Registered
384 Posts
I recently bought a 1501 for my bedroom system. A concern for me is the low power (50W/channel at 8 ohms). I usually have to turn it up to about the half-way value to get a reasonable sound level. Of course, the sound level also depends on the recording level of the source material. For some pop/rock CDs I discovered that I had to turn it way down!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Continuing to tinker with it - just ran the EQ Setup to solve a problem with TrueHD not sounding quite right and lo-and-behold it not only fixed the problem, but it sounded pretty good across the board!

·
Banned
601 Posts
I recently bought a 1501 for my bedroom system. A concern for me is the low power (50W/channel at 8 ohms). I usually have to turn it up to about the half-way value to get a reasonable sound level. Of course, the sound level also depends on the recording level of the source material. For some pop/rock CDs I discovered that I had to turn it way down!
Don't be concern about this, it is absolutely normal, just like you said it yourself (dependent of the source material).

Continuing to tinker with it - just ran the EQ Setup to solve a problem with TrueHD not sounding quite right and lo-and-behold it not only fixed the problem, but it sounded pretty good across the board!
Excellent news! :T

·
Registered
384 Posts
Don't be concern about this, it is absolutely normal, just like you said it yourself (dependent of the source material).
My concern is with clipping when I turn the gain way up. I'd rather not fry my tweeters.

Can anyone recommend any oscilloscope software / microphone combination that can be used to view the audio waveform?

·
Banned
601 Posts
Can anyone recommend any oscilloscope software / microphone combination that can be used to view the audio waveform?
I believe that Mr. Kal Rubinson might be able to help you out on this. Just ask him personally, I'm sure he'll be delighted.
* See post #8 for his name.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts