1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[img]http://www.hometheatershack.com/images/marantz6005review.jpg[/img]

Marantz SR6005 A/V Receiver Review: Discussion Thread

For the Full Review: Click Here!

Summary: The Marantz SR6005 can easily match, and in most cases best, the majority of receivers in the same price range when it comes to audio fidelity. The quality of the audio that came out of my speakers was clear, balanced, extremely dynamic and at times authoritative. I can also say without reservation that when I go to replace the Onkyo with separates, the Marantz AV7005 will be at the top of my check out list. The SR6005 is a great sounding AVR with somewhat limited extras that are now common on many of today’s network receivers however; it is very important to note that I truly believe to obtain this level of audio quality from many of today’s receivers you would need to double the price that the SR6005 can be had for on Accessories4less.com. To be honest, I never use the extras on the network receivers. I've tested the functionality to ensure there were not any issues, but I have other components that do all the things that some of these receivers boast and my components do it much more efficiently and with better quality. As I look at my next unit, I am convinced that separates is the way to go and as I said earlier, The AV7005 will be at the top of that list. However; those looking for a robust and elegant looking receiver, The Marantz SR6005 produces outstanding audio and the Accessories 4 Less price makes it an unbeatable value.

For the Full Review: Click Here!

This was a giveaway unit compliments of Accessories 4 Less and Home Theater Shack!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I think your review kind of mimics my feelings on "lower mid-level" receivers... they all had to cut costs somewhere, and I generally feel marantz cuts them elsewhere, rather than on the amp section. :T

It's nice to hear that they didn't scale back the x005 series as much as I expected. I've got an SR6003 and I've never managed to hit its limits even compared to a 550w tapco amp.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm with you on the cuts, if the basic function isn't 100% then what's the point?:huh:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
By any chance do you have any way of measuring this thing? I'd love to know what it puts out into 4 ohms / 60 degree phase angle / 2 channels driven, 1% or less THD - 190w into 6 ohms looks promising, though!

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not yet but Dave and I are looking at a couple of pieces of test gear and we should have it before this unit goes out from the giveaway so I'll definitely keep you posted.

·
Registered
310 Posts
AC4L they have great prices and sometimes i advise my friends on the south of the boarder to take a look ate there site but unfortunately they don`t ship to Canada :hissyfit:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Good review Roscoe.

I assume you meant FAR not "VAR." Either way, very confusing acronym that I tried to figure out for a long time...

I very much agree that network functions are better served with sources rather than AVRs, at this time anyway. For all the 3007 can do, its pandora and usb interface pales in comparison to my $100 blu ray player's interface for the same functions. Suppose those functions look good on the spec sheets, but I personally never use my 3007's network functions, too primitive and twitchy a interface for my taste. One thing I will say is that my Marantz will require being boxed and shipped to an authorized service center (at my expense) to upgrade my firmware from H33 to H39. Its a significant firmware update, critical and nicety fixes, but its still likely to go undone unless I have issues that I cant overcome with some kind of work-around. My first work-around was bit streaming lossless dts master or dolby trueHD to the Marantz. A known issue of the 8002 is a 'thump' during lossless playback, its not loud or jarring but sounds more like someone thumping a live microphone with the palm of their hand, happens about every 10 minutes during movie playback. The easy work-around was just having the player decode and send pcm rather than bitstream, issue solved, but I still think it speaks to the power and convenience of having that feature of networking ability in regards to firmware updates.

I cant say that Im surprised by your findings on sound quality. I listened to the 3007 for just under a year, the last couple of months with an external amp. Always with a full and properly implemented 8 position Audyssey calibration and the 8002 still, even with a more simple Audyssey version and single sub output, trumped the Onkyo 3007 in detail, sound quality, and dynamics. The Marantz just seems more natural, refined and sounds seem more separated and detailed. That personal observation is based on external amplification only, so I cant really speak to the internal amps and how they compare, but I was surprised the difference in sound quality considering the 3007 is no slouch in any department. It seems, IMO, that those bells and whistles in a Onkyo do come at a price, and that price is sound quality. I have to admit, owning a Marantz comes at a price too. Could be in a higher cost, reliability, or in a sacrifice of features and maybe even all of the above.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with all of your comments. I had the same problem with my old Pioneer in that it couldn't be upgraded via the network connection which it did have. But I was able to find some sites that had the latest firmware and instructions for upgrading via the RS232 and port. But there is no reason not to have that function available moving forward.

VAR is a Value Added Reseller

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Very nice Review Dale. It will make for a very nice AVR to whoever is lucky enough to win it in the Giveaway.
I quite like the AV7005, but would still go with a Onkyo 5508 or Integra 80.2 for XT32/SubEQ HT. Especially as the 5509 and 80.3 are coming soon so there are deals to be had. If only using 1 Subwoofer, it would make me more prone to get the Marantz.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought about that but I never trust Audyssey to EQ my subs anyway so a single channel split works fine for me. I think the next time around I will be auditioning a lot of different units, but the AV7005 has to be a consideration. I'm kind of leaning towards an Anthem AVM 50V right now but I really need to save my pennies for that one.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Interesting. For many, what Audyssey does with the Subwoofer is the best part. It is certainly a matter of preference and truth be told I have gone as long as 6 Months not having MultEQ XT engaged in the 4 years since I have used Audyssey equipped Components.

However, XT32/SubEQ HT really has made me an unabashed believer. I spent countless hours on Speaker Placement such that Electrostatic Speakers really require fastidious Placement to get the best out of them. Even slight changes to Toe In, etc make huge differences. Regardless, after playing Beck Sea Change SACD and The Dark Knight start to finish with both Audyssey engaged and disengaged, I will never own an AVR/SSP without XT32/SubEQ HT.

With Onkyo not offering the Flat Curve by a simple selection, I do use THX Modes (only way to get the Flat Curve with Onkyos) with ReEQ turned off and have done so with both XT and XT32. Otherwise, it feels like the Highs are attenuated or rolled off.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nice review. Agree with pretty much everything, especially the sound quality - I should, I just upgraded from a Denon 888 to a Marantz SR5005 and the sound is cleaner (open?), more full. A great buy at this price point!

·
Registered
3 Posts
How does this receiver compare to the SR6004? I've read the SR6004 though problematic has better sound but I'd love your perspective if you heard both.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Very nice review. :T I have been useing the SR5004 for about 6 months now as a prepro/amp and I do like it. The only thing I don't like is that Marantz disables Audyssey processing when you are listening to True HD or DTS master audio something I would rather be my decision. But overall especially for music I love the sound.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
I posted a few minutes ago about this giveaway and how I tried this unit out but preferred the sound of my $4000 Bryston SP1.7. Now after realizing that it’s selling for 499 at A4L It’s got me thinking on how I can use this and have my cake and eat it too!

I am currently using the 5.1 analog inputs on the Bryston to get HD audio. Having HDMI inputs would be great and if I can connect the 2 in the same system. I know I can connect both HTPCs to the 6005. The one used an Asus xonar HDAV 1.3 I can use the HDMI and I have an Echo Mona studio quality audio card that can use the 5.1 analog inputs. I would connect the 6005 to the Bryston via the 5.1 analog out and in on the Bryston.

That would give the superior audio quality of the Bryston for music and new features of the 6005. I even wonder if the Bryston would even improve the sound of the 6005.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How does this receiver compare to the SR6004? I've read the SR6004 though problematic has better sound but I'd love your perspective if you heard both.
Sorry but I haven't had the opportunity to listen to the SR6004. I am a bit curious now though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just went into the AC4l site, and looks like they offer shipping to Canada now, although I didn't check to see shipping prices.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts