Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that there is an owners thread for Denon's Flagship receiver, but not for Marantz's, so I thought I would go ahead and start one.

I picked up my 7008 Just before Christmas this year, and IT.....IS.....AWESOME!!!! I love the way it looks, and sounds. So far, the only complaint I could have would be the same one most people have with Audyssey, and that is that it sets the bass far too low for my tastes.

Right now my configuration is as follows

Marantz SR7008
PS3 Fat (Original)
FL and FR = B&W 604s3's
C = B&W LCR60
RL and RR = B&W 602s1's
Simply Sound Audio Rumba 12
MTX SW1212
Velodyne DPS10

Yes, I'm running 3 different subs from 3 different manufacturers and 2 different sizes. You work with what you got right? But it sounds awesome.

So, who else has one of these bad boys, and what has been your experience, issues, etc?

Lets get this thread going as a resource for others.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Congratulations on your pick and set up. I bet it is rock solid and I hope you get a ton of happiness out of it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can someone please advise me on how to improve this thread so as to generate more activity? I intended this thread to be a resource for anyone with this receiver.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tweaked I think you'll find there aren't to many that have sprung for this model in the line up due to its expensive price and it isn't all that different to the 7007. So it may take a while to get some action in this thread.

Saying that I've just upgraded from my old Rotel 1056 to the Marantz sr7008 and I couldn't be happier.

I haven't had a chance to explore all the sound formats,audyssey etc yet but I'm loving airplay and the other networking features. I'm using mine with a netgear wifi adapter to link to my wifi router and it functions seemlessly. It's set up next to my tv at the moment for testing purposes, I don't want to spend hours installing it into my HT to find it's got fault. I did find in the first week that it was changing inputs by itself but I think I worked out it was receiving IR signals from my Samsung tv.

I'll be using it as a pre-pro with a 5 ch & 2 ch Rotel amp. I may expand and add some wides later in the year.

I'm also running two SVS PC12 plus subwoofers along with seven Klipsch Reference speakers.

Hopefully your thread will grow from here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will be connecting my new 7008 this weekend. Would be nice to interact with owners for tweaks and touches.

I also will be using a mix bag of subs.

I plan on getting everything out of the Sub Eq functions.

Will be using Sub out 1 for Ken Kreisel DX12 DUO. Will use Sub Out 2 for Velodyne DD15 master with DD12 daisy chained via serial.

Hoping to learn on how to use REW to mazimize potential of my setup

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rgiorgio,

Have you gotten everything hooked up and running? I would love to hear your impressions. Sounds like you hooked up your subs like I did mine. When you run Audyssey, be sure to read some of the Audyssey setup guides floating around out there. Very useful.

·
Registered
96 Posts
rgiorgio, Have you gotten everything hooked up and running? I would love to hear your impressions. Sounds like you hooked up your subs like I did mine. When you run Audyssey, be sure to read some of the Audyssey setup guides floating around out there. Very useful.
Hi, folks!
It's good to join in. I am awaiting my 7008 to arrive by tomorrow. Currently using 6007. I have a 7.2 setup of SVS M series speakers and Sunfire Signature and Deftech Supercube 2 subs. Marantz 6007 sounds awesome but the av receiver gets to protective mode after heating up. After say an hour or so. My volume is around 55-60 ( 0-98 scale). All 7.2 running. Hope it won't happen with the 7008! Embarrassing in the middle of a movie with guests in attendance! The receiver is on top of my av console and my HT is with a/c.
Cheers
Manu

·
Banned
1,050 Posts
Can someone please advise me on how to improve this thread so as to generate more activity? I intended this thread to be a resource for anyone with this receiver.
Unfortunately, there are too many lurkers and not enough participants.

1514 (71 members and 1443 guests)

And 40 members and guests are looking at the receiver heading.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
I'm a new owner of the SR7008 !

Have you tried the Flickr plugin ?

It does not work on my receiver.
I'm well connected to the network, internet radio is working.
I tried to add a new contact or see public content, but nothing work.

Is this a general problem ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all!

I've just set up my SR7008 which i just picked up for 799.99 on a flash sale. I'm currently running a 7.1 Klipsch setup. Now my question is, what kind of amp would sound the best with my RF-7's? They're rated at 250W continuous and 1000w peak. I'm getting decent sound, but I feel like my front R-L are just not getting enough power. can anyone suggest a good amp that will power these suckers and not lose any sound quality?

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Hello all! I've just set up my SR7008 which i just picked up for 799.99 on a flash sale. I'm currently running a 7.1 Klipsch setup. Now my question is, what kind of amp would sound the best with my RF-7's? They're rated at 250W continuous and 1000w peak. I'm getting decent sound, but I feel like my front R-L are just not getting enough power. can anyone suggest a good amp that will power these suckers and not lose any sound quality?
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-sr7008-av-receiver-test-bench#tvfHJXE5rhqcBpZU.97
2 channels continuously driven, 8 ohms (watts @ 0.1% / 1.0% THD): 122.5 / 148.0
2 channels continuously driven, 4 ohms (watts at 0.1% / 1.0% THD): 195.4 / 216.8
5 channels continuously driven, 8 ohms (watts at 0.1% / 1.0% THD): 101.2 / 111.5
7 channels continuously driven, 8 ohms (watts at 0.1% / 1.0% THD): 68.8 / 82.2
Read more at http://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-sr7008-av-receiver-test-bench#lWvAs8JmB7Rpwss0.99

7 channels all driven equally with a steady test tone is totally unrealistic but since some like to focus on that number let's use it for conversation.
Let's also assume Klipsch fudged the RF7's sensitivity a little bit and use 98dB/w vs 101dB/w.
SPL @ 1 meter (anechoic).
1w 98
2w 101
4w 104
8w 107
16w 110
32w 113
63w 116

That is steady state all 7 channels driven with the same test tone.
The AVR is a beast.
If you want an amp get an amp, but if you are getting one to play louder it needs to be deliver 2x the power of the AVR to gain 3dB more SPL.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for the response! So, would it just be better to Bi-amp the fronts using the extra 2 channels instead of getting an amp?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Bi-amp gains you nothing at all. It's a bit of a useless feature.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Folks!
Greetings! I find my SR 7008 a fab unit. . More powerful than my 6007 and better fidelity. I drive my 9.2 system fine and the speakers are SVS M series. Big ones. Here is an idea that occurred to me. I thought of trying out my 6007 (since I have it as well) as processor and my 7008 as power amp. Some in Audioholics say that pre pro duo would sound more powerful!
I also have Marantz UD 7007 and boy! It is a class act:smiley: but I am not able to control it with the app that Marantz has for iPhones. I am able to control both avrs 6007,7008 with the app but not the Marantz blu ray. It is supposed to! Any ideas?!

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
?....but I feel like my front R-L are just not getting enough power....

There is nothing wrong with wanting an amp, but if there is a problem with the sound there are many things to investigate before arbitrarily adding an amp.

What is making you think the speakers need more power ??

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Hi Folks! Greetings! I find my SR 7008 a fab unit. . More powerful than my 6007 and better fidelity. I drive my 9.2 system fine and the speakers are SVS M series. Big ones. Here is an idea that occurred to me. I thought of trying out my 6007 (since I have it as well) as processor and my 7008 as power amp. Some in Audioholics say that pre pro duo would sound more powerful! I also have Marantz UD 7007 and boy! It is a class act:smiley: but I am not able to control it with the app that Marantz has for iPhones. I am able to control both avrs 6007,7008 with the app but not the Marantz blu ray. It is supposed to! Any ideas?!
I don't know why you would want to use the lower model 6007 as a processor for the 7008 power amps but you cannot do it because the 7008 does not have power amplifier inputs.

I don't know what the apps are supposed to control.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks Chashint
I am sure 7008 has 7.2 analog input. I take the 7.2 preout from 6007 and connect to it. This way the speakers connected to 7008 will play audio from with more power since the processing is done in6007 so 7008 can add more oomph to the big SVS speakers in my HT! What say you?! All inputs and monitor outputs are connected to 6007. Only the audio is given to the more powerful 7008
I have attached foto of the app that's in my iPhone which is supposed to control the Marantz blu Ray like 5007 or 7007 only it doesn't. It is connected to wifi over LAN
THANKS

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Thanks Chashint I am sure 7008 has 7.2 analog input. I take the 7.2 preout from 6007 and connect to it. This way the speakers connected to 7008 will play audio from with more power since the processing is done in6007 so 7008 can add more oomph to the big SVS speakers in my HT! What say you?!
In my opinion there is zero benefit for connecting the system this way.
The analog inputs on the 7008 still go through the processor, double processing is not desirable.
The 7008 is the better machine, more features, better Audessey, overall improvement across the board.
I recommend connecting all sources, monitors, and speakers directly to the 7008 and let the 6007 become a spare unit.
If you cannot use it in another room (bedroom/garage) you can sell it or if you have needy relatives you can gift it to them so it doesn't end up in the trash.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well, thanks for your suggestions but I do not know how you say that the processor of 7008 is used when only the speakers alone are connected to audio input. All audio and video processing will be in 6007. This is the concept of pre pro as I understand. Besides I will use Audyssey in 7008 of course. Speakers are connected to it,Chashint :wink:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts