Marantz has announced a new September addition to its family of hi-fi audio components: the HD-CD1 CD player. Priced at $599, this new mid-size player is packed with “premium-class” technologies carried over from previous popular components, including the company’s HDAM-SA2 amplifier modules. The player is marketed as a model-mate to Marantz’s HD-DAC1 Headphone Amplifier and HD-AMP1 Integrated Amp, meaning that high-performance is intended despite the unit’s small form factor.
Marantz says the HD-CD1 is ideally used as a CD “transport” in conjunction with the HD-AMP1 (or with any other capable amplifier accompaniment). It features a centralized CD mech capable of playing MP3, WMA, and AAC files in addition to plain-old compact discs. Using optical and gold-plated coaxial digital connections, the HD-CD1 can connect directly to the HD-AMP1’s premium ESS Sabre digital-to-analog converters via available digital inputs, while features such as an aluminum front panel and double-layer baseplate insure vibration isolation.
The HD-CD1 is also capable of high-level internal digital-to-analog conversion using a Cirrus Logic CS4398 device. Marantz says that digital signals are handled with white gloves, due to the fact that its aonboard DAC is paired with an ultra-low phase noise crystal oscillator master clock and a low impedance capacitor. The intended result is a converted full-bodied analog sound with lifelike dynamics and timbre.
Listeners can enjoy music access by connecting headphones directly to the HD-CD1, tapping into the power of a dedicated HDAM-SA2 internal amplifier. Volume is controlled via an external, front-mounted, control that features an adjustable gain setting to drive the most difficult of headphones.
Other features include a low power auto-standby mode and a system friendly (both HD-CD1 and HD-AMP1) remote control.
Shipping is due to commence this coming September.
The following are Marantz's referenced highlights and benefits:
- High-quality playback from CD, CD R/RW – Support of MP3, AAC, WMA file playback
- Plays most popular digital media files
- Intensively sound tuned with carefully selected components
- Unique Marantz audio experience
- High quality 192kHz/24bit D/A conversion (CS4398) and accurate system clock
- Best sound quality from CD and digital media files
- Marantz proprietary HDAM-SA2 circuits
- Wider dynamic range with lower distortion for the output stage
- Full discrete headphone amplifier with HDAM-SA2 and gain control
- High-quality sound even from demanding headphones
- Double layered bottom plate and rigid feet
- Gold Plated L/R/Coax Outputs
- System remote to control CD-player and matching HD-AMP1 amplifier
- Available in black
Image Credits: Marantz