Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what technique you guys use for marking driver holes on the baffle? In my past sub builds I would drop the driver in the whole and mark it out. But with my latest si18 build I have recessed the driver and it would seem difficult to pull the driver out after its in place. Do you make a template? I figured I'd ask since I had t seen anybody mention it yet. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
I just put the driver in with the magnet up/out. Then mark holes.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I drop the driver into the baffle before the cabinet is assembled. I have the baffle resting on some books so that the driver does not rest on anything. I then center the driver by inserting playing or index cards between the driver and the baffle edges (on recessed baffles) equally on all sides. I then get a driver bit that fits in the bolt holes and tap a hole with a hammer on the bit...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I drop the driver into the baffle before the cabinet is assembled. I have the baffle resting on some books so that the driver does not rest on anything. I then center the driver by inserting playing or index cards between the driver and the baffle edges (on recessed baffles) equally on all sides. I then get a driver bit that fits in the bolt holes and tap a hole with a hammer on the bit...
Yeah I would have done that but the boxes are already built in anticipation for delivery of my stereo integrity 18's.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yeah I would have done that but the boxes are already built in anticipation for delivery of my stereo integrity 18's.
Bad idea... I hope the drivers will fit in the cutout. I made that mistake recently. I built a cabinet for my Dayton RSS390HO-4 cut to specs. When I fitted the driver in the cabinet, it was a VERY tight squeeze. The driver is so tight, I don't think I can remove it without destroying the cabinet.

I now cut out the openings 1/4" larger than spec... So I have 1/8" freeplay on each side. If you paint the cabinet, that 1/8" just barely clears it...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I used their cut specs and added some on the recess hole just to be safe. It seems alot of people build their boxes before they've gotten the drivers especially on these si 18 pre orders. Hopefully I'll be ok

1 - 10 of 10 Posts