Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a Martin Logan Abyss with a bad woofer. A brand new woofer would cost me 434 CAD. Any better suggestion that would equal or best it? It's a 12 inch sealed subwoofer and I do not have the woofer specs...

Subwoofer main specs:

Frequency Response
23–120 Hz ±3dB; Anechoic through LFE effects input

Low Pass Filter Frequency
30–80 Hz

High Pass Filter Frequency
70 Hz

Low Frequency Transducer
12" (30.5cm) high excursion, aluminum element woofer with extended throw drive assembly

Amplifier
300 watts rms (600 watts peak)

Dimensions
15.8" × 13.5" × 15.2"
(40.1cm × 34.4cm × 38.6cm

Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
There are a few subwoofers that are all cheaper than 400 but require bigger cabinets than a 12" and need a power amp to push them. For a 12" the TC Sounds LMS-R is hard to beat, but might be more expensive than suggested budget in Canada. And then there is always the TC Sound Epic 12" for less money. Not as much displacement but still has 18mm.:T for 200 in the USA.

Here is a kit that includes almost everything and you only need to build the box.
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=Duet SDX12A

Or for $289 you can buy this 12".
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=SDX12 Single
But you will need to know the volume of your current subwoofer cabinet to see if you can re-use it. Or build another cabinet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can buy it the States so if the price is good south of the border, it is not an issue.

I forgot to mention that I want a replacement so I want to keep the amp and the cabinet.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
What is the size of the cabinet you want to use? And what thickness is the cabinet?

You could always use the amp and buy another 12 and build your own cabinet and install the plate amp into that one? Or are you trying to just buy another 12 and install it?

If so then we will need dimensions of the subwoofer cabinet so we can figure out its internal volume. You maynot be able to use the existing holes for the 12" that you want to replace either. So you may have to dril some new holes.

What ever woofer you use it may never be the perfect fit but we cab probably find something that will sound ok. Remember this subwoofer cabinet was designed around a specific woofer. Also I dont know if the plate amp has a flat BW or if it was tailored for the woofer used. You may have to use REW and test its bandwidth or frequency response to e sure. If it is flat and the internal volume is very close to what is needed for another 12 then this cabinet will work out perfect. BUT it may not.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The cab dimensions are:
15.8" × 13.5" × 15.2"

It seems to be 3/4 thick.

The woofer itself is

Overall Outside Diameter: 12.25"
Baffle Cutout Diameter 11"
Depth 5.75"
Magnet Diameter 5.5"

If possible, i would like to find a woofer that would be a bolt on fit but I do not mind not using the nuts holes and screwing the new woofer directly in the MDF/Plywood...

If I cannot find anything that fit directly in this cabinet, I am open to buy or build a cabinet and fit a new woofer with the Martin Logan amp. Suggestions?? :)

Just for the record, I have a very small room that is 11' x13' http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=Stratfordguy

And I have a Paradigm PW2100 as a backup right now...

By the way, thank you all.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Have you played the woofer in free air and listened to where the sound is coming from?

Could be something that needs to rattle out.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Not sure what is going on with your other post. It only has a period showing.

I know of another woofer that had a buzzing sound when pushed but was quiet at lower levels. It was a piece of the epoxy that holds the spiders on bouncing around. Eventually he ran sine waves through it and got the woofer to move enough in free air that the piece fell out. So I didnt know if it was something like that.

Nothing SHOULD be rattling around in your speaker. I am just trying to think of ideas of what it could be with out seeing it or hearing it.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I assume you've called Martin Logan already. Did they offer any solutions? Or is that the price they gave you for a fix?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts