Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well.....I jumped in big! I just ordered my HST18......apparently Nick builds each and everyone of them. Poor fellow....must be BUSY!

Hopefully some pictures soon.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Those HST's are ridonkulous. As long as you get your MiniDSP and HPF at a reasonable frequency, you will *never* hear that thing bottom. For HPF freq, don't go with any hard rules. Start low and work your way up. Play around with different slopes (12db/oct, 24db/oct, etc). The more slope, the more phase delay. I have mine 1 or 2 Hz lower than the tune freq and I think I'm using 24db/oct, but I can't remember exactly.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Those HST's are ridonkulous. As long as you get your MiniDSP and HPF at a reasonable frequency, you will *never* hear that thing bottom. For HPF freq, don't go with any hard rules. Start low and work your way up. Play around with different slopes (12db/oct, 24db/oct, etc). The more slope, the more phase delay. I have mine 1 or 2 Hz lower than the tune freq and I think I'm using 24db/oct, but I can't remember exactly.
Dunno about that... with as LITTLE wattage as it needs to hit full excursion, I've heard mine hit wrong a couple times with around 50% gain on my Dayton SA1000 amp...

Just watch the volume and you will be fine....

Godzilla tonight at my house with my 2 year old.... Cant wait for the LFE....

·
Registered
334 Posts
Personally I like the Crown XLS series better, and if only building one the 1000 bridges is fine. If more than 1 go with the 1500 wired at 2 ohms and still be fine. The fan isnt as loud as the iNuke and I refuse to void a warranty on a new product just to mod the fan.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I dont know why, but the Berry amps just dont appeal to me. The looks, the innards, the noisy fan, etc...I dunno...me no liiiiike. I like amps with more 'guffu'!
The Crown xls seem cool........I am looking seriously Looking at a Crest Audio 5.0/7.5 DSP........not much user info outhere though.......
And then of course, I need an amp with 220-240v or switchable..........

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Dunno about that... with as LITTLE wattage as it needs to hit full excursion, I've heard mine hit wrong a couple times with around 50% gain on my Dayton SA1000 amp...

Just watch the volume and you will be fine....

Godzilla tonight at my house with my 2 year old.... Cant wait for the LFE....

Are you sure the amp isn't clipping?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Are you sure the amp isn't clipping?
Yes, the LED changes from Blue to RED when its at max... thats not happening......

I do plan to put more foam on the surround walls..

Again its only happening at a volume I dont normally listen at or even close to so its not that big a deal...

But I've debated the XLS1000 or 1500 for myself as well for the same reason, problem is the lack of a high pass around 16hz and my want to NOT have to buy another piece of equipment to protect the driver...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I think I have narrowed it down. It will be either Crown xti2 4002 or Crest 5.0DSP. Whadya think guys? Time to throw some tosh at an amp?
Which DSP section is better for HST18 sub?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I have read the manual for both amps, but I have not been able to find the lowest hpf possible on either.
Does anybody know?
(Xti2 4002/ Crest 5.0DSP)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I can confirm that minidsp has adjustable hpf down to 10hz. With varying slopes and filters. I bet most pro amps that have adjustable hpf's won't go below 20hz.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
This amp-choosing stuff is giving me a real headache........I think the xti4002 is looking more and more like a winner.......switchable voltage, DSP, good power specs, 2ohm specs, bridgeable...Not to noisy.....ok price.......

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yer I know exactly how you feel. I am trying to figure out my next build amp. I want to run 4 ultimax 18's. I'm not sure if I should wire them 2 in a cab to 2ohm or 8ohm or 4 seperate to 4 ohm. I'm thinking maybe 2 cabs to 2ohm???

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I bought my amp today. I ended up going with the Crown xti4002. I hope I have made the right choice.

Cabinet...check.
Amp.......check.
Duratex...check.
Hst18......check.
Mounting kit...check.
Speakon/other bits.....check.

All I need now is to get back, so that I can start the build process.

·
Registered
443 Posts
This amp-choosing stuff is giving me a real headache........I think the xti4002 is looking more and more like a winner.......switchable voltage, DSP, good power specs, 2ohm specs, bridgeable...Not to noisy.....ok price.......
WOW nice amp!:bigsmile: what is a MartyCube?

21 - 40 of 56 Posts