Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
IS crown best budget brand??

I dont know if it is the best..........but I do think it is better than the Berry's..........those Berry's just dont do it for me. Just my singular opinion.
Crown, QSC, Peavey, Crest........all pretty famous pro-amp brands.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Seriously??.........Full Marty.......Micro Marty......doable diy subwoofer designs............search function is your friend. Enjoy.
Thanks, I had no idea when I built my sub. Shame I got a plate amp, any-possible upgrades to the bash 500wrms amp?
I hear plate amps are the worst.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
It all depends on application. I use a Dayton spa1000 plate amp in my knockdown diy 18"UM....and it performs fantastically. I get massive, deep output in my lttle HT room.
For bigger, vented subs.......probably powerful pro amps are the way to go. , I learned that here on the forum just a few weeks ago!:))
When I purchased the HST18, I asked SI how many minimum watts were needed to get the HST18 going...SI said 'minimum 1000watts'.........I haven't found any plate amps with more than 1000watts into 4 ohms.

And then there is a whole new story with regard to HP and LP filters.............I had to get my head around that too......sealed subs dont need HP filters.......but vented subs do, so they dont overload.

·
Registered
334 Posts
It all depends on application. I use a Dayton spa1000 plate amp in my knockdown diy 18"UM....and it performs fantastically. I get massive, deep output in my lttle HT room.
For bigger, vented subs.......probably powerful pro amps are the way to go. , I learned that here on the forum just a few weeks ago!:))
When I purchased the HST18, I asked SI how many minimum watts were needed to get the HST18 going...SI said 'minimum 1000watts'.........I haven't found any plate amps with more than 1000watts into 4 ohms.

And then there is a whole new story with regard to HP and LP filters.............I had to get my head around that too......sealed subs dont need HP filters.......but vented subs do, so they dont overload.
QFT

For the Record, I have a Stereo Integrity 15" D2 sub and I have a SA1000 (basically the 1000 watt plate amp in its own enclosure) and I dont need to get abouve 50% gain before I my sub stops liking more power.

And as mentioned nice thing about plate amps is they have filters to keep your sub from digging too low, pro amps not so much so you need another device in front of the amp to provide those (minidsp is the device of choice)

And again it depends on the sub & size of your box....

For example an infinite baffle setup using 4 Dayton 15" IB subs (2 per channel) needs LESS than 50 watts a sub to produce 120 db worth of bass.... but if its in a smaller box, quadruple that number.....

So your plate amp may be just perfect for your sub and box. If your curious I'd start another thread with that question and I'm sure folks can help you out.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Well it does have tremendous output for a sealed 15" so I guess it works well. My first amp though I had to replace cuz power cord died, free though. Except shipping was $13.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
QFT

For the Record, I have a Stereo Integrity 15" D2 sub and I have a SA1000 (basically the 1000 watt plate amp in its own enclosure) and I dont need to get abouve 50% gain before I my sub stops liking more .

Is your sub sealed or vented? Is your sub 2ohm?.........I actually considered the SA1000...... probably would have been sufficient......no worries..........

·
Registered
334 Posts
Is your sub sealed or vented? Is your sub 2ohm?.........I actually considered the SA1000...... probably would have been sufficient......no worries..........
I have the DIYSoundGroup Cube15 which is a ported sub. I wired the sub to be 4 ohms total and called it a day....

So I can run one and one only off that amp. If I was planning on doing duals I would have got the D4 (dual 4 ohm) and wired for a 2 ohm load on a pro amp....

That SA1000 CANNOT handle a 2 ohm load.

Info on the box:

The enclosure is tuned at 21hz with a net volume around 4cuft and was originally designed to work very well with the Eminence Lab15 or the Dayton Audio RSS390HO 15" subwoofer

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I managed to pick up some of my parts today. A box from PE...full of goodstuff. Also, my HUGE hst18!
The Neutrik speakon connector seems very dinky.....is this a good solution? Other more solid recommendation appreciated
I am thinking of putting in both types of connections. A speakon connector AND 5-way binding posts. Will this be a problem? The 5-way binding post is fully insulated.
I intend to run wire connection inside the sub from speakon to binding post to sub. In that order. In this way I will be able to use whichever connection I choose.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Yey!!!......finally got my grubby hands on the amp. It is used......but, I swear it still SMELLS and looks new! Am I a happy camper or what??:neener::T

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Finally had some time to do some more on this project. Here are a few pictures of the sub coming together.

Woodglue and nails!

·
Registered
11 Posts
It has a higher output voltage that Nox Vidmate VLC pro amps need to achieve full volume. The unbalanced May still work but it's not worth wasting money just get the balanced version.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts