Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Ported will always win for spl down low. If you have a difficult room then ported Marty's is my suggestion.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
DO you have the SI 18's already?

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Just curious if you had them or not. There are many designs out there today that can produces huge amounts of SPL. So I didnt know if you had them already or not was all.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The Martycubes will give you more SPL down low and lets be honest... thats what we all want in a HT enviornment. Sealed will result in a lower SPL and a gradual rolloff the lower you get, with the MartyCubes you get a fairly flat response down to 20hz and then it drops like a rock lol, which is what you get with ported subs normally.

I am putting the SI 15 D2 in a Martycube for my setup and am looking forward to it.

What are you planning on driving it with amp wise, and what are you using to EQ it?

Lots of folks are using the iNuke amps to both drive and EQ it. I personally just wasnt a fan of having to mod a amp out the gate to get it to be quiet so I went with a Dayton SA-1000 amp, which would work for me since I am only doing one sub rather than 2. Technically that amp could work with 2 subs if you wired them for a 4 or 8 ohm load, but thats a bit of a waste lol.

For EQ because I went with a standard RCA input amp (for this reason as well) I am using a 2x4 MiniDSP. I also purchased the UMIK-1 mic to use with REW. I like this setup because I can auto-calculate the DSP portion to flatten my response. You can still do that with the iNukes you just need a 2x4 balanced MiniDSP which requires you to make your own cables, which I didnt really want to have to do.

Looking forward to seeing how your planning to bring it all together. My build wont be happening till the second week of July, but I've got the driver and amp on hand and have played with them a bit, and they sound DARNED good, even in free air lol...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have an inuke 6000dsp and preordered the the 18s, im hoping to get them soon. as far as eq ive never played with that before so im trying to read up on that.

·
Registered
334 Posts
i have an inuke 6000dsp and preordered the the 18s, im hoping to get them soon. as far as eq ive never played with that before so im trying to read up on that.
Guy on AVSForum has a thread on how to use REW's EQ to figure out what filters to setup, and then instructions on how to put those into the iNuke DSP.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm looking at doing a dual opposed SI 18 box myself. This will be my first DIY project. How do you know which 18s to get? The 2 or 4ohm?

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
I'm looking at doing a dual opposed SI 18 box myself. This will be my first DIY project. How do you know which 18s to get? The 2 or 4ohm?
It will be a matter of what impedance you want to end up with for your amp?

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
I guess 4ohm since it'd be easier to drive than 2ohm? Unfortunately I have no training in electronics, just medicine, so I'm a little lost when it comes to this stuff.
2ohm is always harder on the amp and draws a lot more electricity from the wall. If you start your own thread I can gladly add some easy to follow photos of how to wire 4ohm or 2ohm DVC subwoofers.

Kbclamper, Which Marty design are you going to build? Tall, Mini or which?

·
Registered
164 Posts
On the inuke DSP settings you use rew 's DCX2496 eq to do the filters. Careful not to go to a q of 10 though when cutting or boosting stick to 7.9 or below. The reason is that type of notch will only really help at the exact spot your mic is located and may make things worse at other spots in your room. You can manually play with the filters in rew once you get some measurements too. Its addicting.

Pete

1 - 17 of 17 Posts