Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to power four ultimax 18's. Trying to get something nicer than an iNuke 6K. I just destroyed a Crown XLS too. So I need something else.

Looking at a SpeakerPower SP1-4000. Trying to see what other alternatives there are.

Peavey IPR2 7500?

Sanway clones scare me.

old school non-drivecore Crown XLS 5000?

What else should I be considering? Would like to find something that doesn't wimp out below 20 hz and has the internal capacitors and power supply to handle such things.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,321 Posts
Aren't the SP1's plate amps? Since the rest of what you're looking at are rack mount, you might want to consider the SP2's instead.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've read good things about the CV-2800/5000. Though for as good as they review, doesn't seem like they're that popular. I only have a single 15" Ultimax and I'm using the 3 Ft3 sealed box from Parts Express for it. The SA-1000 Dayton amp just doesn't have the guts to drive this thing hard. During spirited movie passages it clips like mad.

I'm thinking about getting a CV-2800 to drive it and possibly add another sub to it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aren't the SP1's plate amps? Since the rest of what you're looking at are rack mount, you might want to consider the SP2's instead.
A plate amp would actually work out better for me. My rack is in the far back corner and I'm having to run wire around the room to get to the subs up front, which ends up being like 35'. I'd have much less loss if I could have the amp by the subs. I could go either way with this.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There’s not enough loss in a 35” cable to worry about, either line-level or speaker-level.

Regards,
Wayne
I was under the impression that 4,000 watts at 2 ohms on a 35 foot long wire would be significant enough to fret about, but according to a calculator it is about 0.5 db for a 12 gauge wire. Some people would still fret, seems like the universal threshold for audiophiles is 0.2 db. Unfortunately right now I have 14 gauge wire which is 0.73 db. Realistically speaking it could be 4 times that and one of these nicer amps could still destroy my subs. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He said 35' not 35".
Indeed. I'm also running like a 2 ohm load. DC impedance is actually 1 ohm but pretty much everything above 10 hz will be 2 ohms or more. Big difference in that and an 8 ohm load, your loss due to cabling pretty much quadruples when you cut the impedance down by a factor of 4. Even then though, it's like half a db. Some people would freak out over that and some would shrug their shoulders.

Talked to Seaton for awhile last night and got something worked out with him, should have a Speakerpower in 1-1.5 weeks. At this point they're the only ones I trust.

·
Registered
431 Posts
How did you kill that Crown XLS?

Ashly, Crest, Crown, Yamaha, QSC, BGW... they all make rock-solid amps. But you can kill any one of them if you're asking for too much too often.

If you want to be well within the limits of the amp, and not under- or over-power the subs, I'd say get an amp that will dump 2KW into a 4-ohm bridge. And get one for each sub. Even if the program material mandates a huge peak, the amplifier will deliver it unclipped and the sub will respond. I've followed the "Speaker Peak = Amp RMS" rule for a long time, and I haven't lost any gear yet (except to operators that turn the volume up after I tell them the red lights are bad). As long as you're within the limits of the speaker, the amp will die of old age.

The only reasons I've ever replaced an amp were water damage, foreign object penetration, and spontaneous gravitational anomalies. All the other issues were PLBKAC. I've also been using Crown amps in nasty environments for over a decade.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How did you kill that Crown XLS?
Well, I tried to break in two new stiff 18's so that they were as compliant suspension-wise as two others that I had for a year, so I fed it a sine wave in free air for 30 minutes straight.

Apparently the amp overheated or something, started making these really weird high pitched concussive sounds when the bass hit, plus my extreme low end went bye bye. Not that the Crown did well in that regard anyway, but afterwards it was just gone, started rolling off too high and even 25 hz performance suffered. There was just no beef down low but when it tried I got a 200-400 hz percussive sound that was just really weird.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you want to be well within the limits of the amp, and not under- or over-power the subs, I'd say get an amp that will dump 2KW into a 4-ohm bridge. And get one for each sub. Even if the program material mandates a huge peak, the amplifier will deliver it unclipped and the sub will respond.
The problem is that what it can do well above 20 hz isn't necessarily the same thing as what it can do below it. The Crown was pretty bad in this regard, dinky little power supply that had a limiter relay cut out everything when you tried. That's why I decided to go with Speakerpower. Apparently they don't have this issue, plus by the time you buy a separate amp for each sub, you could have a speakerpower for cheaper.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts