Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas on good performing but affordably priced material for a DIY acoustically transparent screen?

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Any ideas on good performing but affordably priced material for a DIY acoustically transparent screen?
Funny you should ask chas! I actually have some samples of the Seymour AV screen and I think Da-Lite included an AT sample or two. I'm planning on having these all reviewed within a week or so. Can you wait?

mech

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the speedy reply Mech! I live in Chaska and I can definitely wait for your review...looking forward to it. Any thoughts on the SmX screens/material?

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
To be honest with you, I haven't looked at them yet. :yikes:

If you want to come take a look at them pm me. Chris Seymour sent me a nice 24"X24" piece. The Da-Lite samples are small - 8"X8". I'll bet Chris will chime in here soon... maybe he can give you some pricing info on his screen material.

mech

·
Banned
14,914 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was leaning towards the SeymourAV material...but abandoned the whole idea as I felt the viewing distance was too close, and the screen size too small for good results with an AT material.

·
Registered
203 Posts
As far as the Da-Lite screen goes.. you can request a sample pack via their website. They sent me a nice pack of various screen samples and a catalog for free. Received it within a couple of days.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I used the CCC material from Dazian for my acoustically transparent screen. I feel it works very well and looks good. And, we only sit about 9' away from it using an old XGA Panasonic LCD projector. I only needed a few dB boost in the high end (put into the crossover) to compensate for speakers behind the screen. My new receiver has Audyssey EQ however, so that would no longer be required.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am also looking at the Seymour AT screen 12' wide 16.9, I am going to build a Torus insted of a flat screen.

Looking forward to your test results.

Thanks, Rick.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts