Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Re: Max Payne Blu-ray Review

I watched this solely because of Wahlberg.

I'm the opposite of you on this one Wayde, I always thought Wahlberg was one of the newest up and coming action hero's to replace our current aging ones- If the word aging is even appropriate with Stallone in his 60's, Schwarzenegger retired and into politics but also in his 60's... Willis getting up there, Russel showing his age too... Maybe more like senior citizen status is more fitting.

Anyway, Shooter sold me on Wahlberg as an action guy that could carry a movie on his own. He has shown some bad choices in roles in the past, but seems to be finding his niche now. I also think he's awesome in ensemble casts like The Italian Job.

Max Payne though... whew. I knew it was a video game and that's it, I never played it. So I was thinking a hard rocking mindless shoot em up flick and never expected the super natural part of it. It's not that I mind that, actually if it's done well the surprise is mind blowing when you finally realize what's going on. I did start getting into Max Payne at the beginning but it seemed to crawl at times. I'll be totally honest and admit I was only half watching it because I started losing interest before things really picked up. I'll definitely go back and re-watch it again (I have the DVD though not BD) and pay more attention.

Great review though, it has me interested in taking a second look at this one :)

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Re: Max Payne Blu-ray Review

Don't get me wrong. I like Wahlberg, I just think he does cool, laid back or uncomfortable, fish-out-of-water a little better than straight up tough guy.

Can you see Wahlberg delivering intimidating lines at someone? I don't know, maybe. I really liked him in the Departed but felt his role showed a little more depth than just being a straight tough guy.
Yeah I see what you mean, I couldn't see him delivering lines like that, but like you said, who knows.

Shooter and Payne are really the only action flicks he pretty much carries on his on aren't they? Well... there's always Planet of the Apes lol.

Thinking about your observation I see what you mean. In shooter yeah sure it was good action, but he still was that outcast fish out of water type character.

Where Marky Mark really shines is in ensemble casts. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts