Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MBL - Room 1130

Unfortunately, this was another room where I was not able to get a system equipment list. One suggestion I would make for vendors moving forward if I had their ear :) - make sure to put together a press packet like a number of vendors do as it can only be of benefit to have your product specifically referenced.

Plants and diffusion panels at the first reflection points and at the rear of the room were used for treatment.

Joe's Impressions

I have seen the MBL Corona speakers twice now, and I am still not taken with the look. I do like that the cabinet has a non-traditional design, but the stark white finish really throws me off. A funny note - while I was in there, they fired up Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" on the reel-to-reel and one of the guys that was in to check out the system got up and started busting out the Michael dance moves. It had us all in stitches and reminded me that these shows should be fun for everyone. :T

Vocal imaging was a bit odd - it sounded like it was just a bit right of center and stayed that way for all vocal tracks so I knew it was not a specific track causing the anamoly. Perhaps it was the angle they chose for the room, but it did make it difficult for the speakers to disappear. Vocal dynamics were handled with no signs of strain or compression - that MJ track was turned up quite a bit and no issues at all. The soundstage was pretty wide with a open, natural sound I normally associate with ribbon / planar tweeters and horns.

Instrument detail was very good - piano sequences stood out for me most here with a smooth, easy sound and audible key strikes. Midrange was also very crisp and clean with good snap. Low end was very impactful which was surprising given the size of the room and was clean to boot.

This was definitely a better experience than I had the last time I heard these at Axpona - vocals and instrument detail especially - but the image smearing and lack of depth to the soundstage kept me from really enjoying the setup.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I wasn't sure what to think about this one. I recall it being a very different sound, and I suppose it should be given the radiation pattern (doesn't the tweeter radiate 360 degrees horizontally?). I would have liked to have spent more time trying to get to know these a bit better.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't sure what to think about this one. I recall it being a very different sound, and I suppose it should be given the radiation pattern (doesn't the tweeter radiate 360 degrees horizontally?). I would have liked to have spent more time trying to get to know these a bit better.
That was the thing I did not get about either setup - if the radiation pattern is designed to be 360 degrees, would it make sense to locate them more centric in the room? It would make for a great wow factor for me if I was behind the speaker and still had the same great sound that I got from the front...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have seen the MBL Corona speakers twice now, and I am still not taken with the look. I do like that the cabinet has a non-traditional design, but the stark white finish really throws me off.
I agree with you on the look of this setup. The speakers look like something that would be be found on the moon base in Moonraker, or the voice of HAL should be coming through them. It's also disappointing that something was possibly off in the angle or room setup. One would think that for a nearly $50,000 (?) system, a bit more care would be taken. I'm curious how you might rank these in comparison to some of your other experiences at RMAF?

One last note, the plants as diffusers is an awesome idea. Haven't seen that before, though there would certainly be some drawbacks in a home theater application :ponder:

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with you on the look of this setup. The speakers look like something that would be be found on the moon base in Moonraker, or the voice of HAL should be coming through them. It's also disappointing that something was possibly off in the angle or room setup. One would think that for a nearly $50,000 (?) system, a bit more care would be taken. I'm curious how you might rank these in comparison to some of your other experiences at RMAF?

One last note, the plants as diffusers is an awesome idea. Haven't seen that before, though there would certainly be some drawbacks in a home theater application :ponder:
Tom,

I would put them somewhere in the middle to lower area of my favorites - they just really did not strike a chord with me at all. When the thing I remember most about a room is that one guy got up and started dancing, it does not say too much for the impact of the system... :)

There are so few of these speakers at the shows that can be used for home theater that I do not think the vendors are worried about using plants... :dontknow:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts