Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the following information from Pioneer. What is disappointing to me, is that the 9 band equalizer is graphic, not parametric. When I did these adjustments manually, a graphic equalizer was useful, but when I could look at the frequency response on an oscilloscope, there were some sharp peaks or dips that I could not correct with a graphic equalizer. A parametric equalizer can have the center frequency adjusted, as well as the size of the correction (the Q). The 2013 App on the iPad is definitely the best looking of all that I have checked so far.

Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.
1. The frequencies should be the full range, 20 -20 kHz.
2. The current models, starting with the VSX-1123, is a 9 band EQ.
3. It is a graphic EQ.

The higher receivers do have variations on the MCACC and what it will account for.

The iControl application, like iControlAV2013, provides you full control of the receiver from most smart phones.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
What was question #1? I know their eq is nine band, starting at 63Hz going up 9 octaves. Are they claiming they can adjust the full 20-20k range?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What was question #1? I know their eq is nine band, starting at 63Hz going up 9 octaves. Are they claiming they can adjust the full 20-20k range?
1) Frequencies covered. Low to high.
2) Number of bands in the equalization. I see 5 band or 9 band, how do I know which receiver has what? Is 9 band "Advanced"?
3) Is this parametric?

I should have asked about sub control.

While I do not know the action of this MCACC graphic equalizer, it could be that the lower one is centered around 63Hz (an interesting frequency to pick), but affects the frequencies down to 20 Hz. The effect I am used to seeing is a normal curve like shape (like half a sine wave), where the greatest change is at the center frequency and those further away are affected less.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/getting_that_tonal_balance_what_eq_can_do_for_a_system_mix/

The graph that shows "Bandwidth is Constant" is what I am thinking.

If 63 is the lowest, then the 9 might be: 63, 126, 252, 504, 1008, 2016, 4032, 8064, 16128Hz.

Here is a nice article about equalization by octave:

http://www.recordingeq.com/EQ/req0400/OctaveEQ.htm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts