Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with experience or opinions on the mc's.Would like to know how they are for HT as well as music.I was looking at the mc2105,2205 and the mc7106.I know very little about them and only somewhat heard they are very well liked.would really appreciate any insights.thanks

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I've owned several pieces of McIntosh in past years. The most potent being the MC7300 amp. It was more than I needed or wanted to spend in the end so I sold it. The one piece I sold that I wish I had kept was the MC250.

I think those model numbers are pretty old... I owned an MC2505 back in the day as well.

I suspect most McIntosh owners are happy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually got the numbers off of some that are being sold online.Was also wondering if they are cool running or do they get hot.It would be used in my setup all the time.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I never had any heat issues with any of mine and they were in a cabinet... see here. I ran them pretty consistently because our HT was our great room at that time.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Stick with the solid state amps and heat shouldn't be a problem:bigsmile:.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always thought that it was the norm that solid state amps ran warm to hot,and needed to be well ventilated.Am i mistaken?

·
Friend of the Shack
1,356 Posts
I always thought that it was the norm that solid state amps ran warm to hot,and needed to be well ventilated.Am i mistaken?
Depends on design. I have a two-channel, class A, solid state, 150x2 amp that runs quite warm at idle. And then I have a five-channel, class ?, solid state, 200x5 amp that never gets that warm at all.

In general, I'd think that it's the tube amps that would need the extra ventilation. Those tubes get quite warm!

This thread is making me want to find a McIntosh amp... I love those blue meters, and I'd love to check out the sound.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'm assuming your referring to a sunfire.I had a 300x2 sunfire for a week and did not like what i heard.Had it connected to my rotel rsx1056.I've heard good things about these amps,but i guess it's a matter of taste.Unless the one i had had a sound of it's own which i did not care for.

·
Friend of the Shack
1,356 Posts
Yep, a Sunfire. Sounds all right to me! Now you've really got me interested in shopping amps (don't tell my wife).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It may have been that it didnt do well with my combo of receiver and speakers.dont know.I also heard that sunfire(unk if true) are voiced matched.

·
Registered
568 Posts
How about these McIntosh amps. Not a blue meter in sight. But, too many cables...hmmm...

Attachments

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
You have to be a member of Audiokarma to see their attachments. You could download the image and upload it here if you wanted to.

·
Registered
568 Posts
? Statement makes no sense. :doh: Solid State amps produce heat as well.
True, however tubes produce far more heat by their very nature. I have heard of people only using tube amps in the winter and ss amps in the summer for that very reason. My MC-250's run very cool, can't say the same for my MC-275, 4 KT-88's produce a lot of heat:devil:.

S

·
0 Posts
Hi there, FWIW I have had a mc-2300 upfront for HT and music use in the past, to me it sounded "velvety" smooth but also capable of absolutely incredible dynamics when asked for.

At 135lbs it was also quite interesting to move about, I was made an offer I simply could not resist so I caved in and sold..

There is something about those big blue watt meters I will never forget though! quite lovely.
regards

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
135lbs!! how big was that thing? none the less i think i've given up since heat is a big issue for me.Atleast for right now.

S

·
0 Posts
Size 19" rack mounting. 10-1/2"H and 17"D. Weight 128 lb

It never really even got warm to the touch. It had to very big fans at the back, panaflows if i remember correctly, very very quiet.
;-)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Have a look at some Parasounds...Don't get me wrong, ANY amp is going to generate heat as that is the nature of the beast, but a well designed one will have either a plethora of heat sinks (which I prefer), or a fan of some type built in to dissipate it.
There's no way you'll buy any (good) amp that's not going to generate a fair amount of heat, and of course (generally speaking) the more power; the more heat. The least heat (if you like the sound) wil come from the newer "digital" amps.
Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts