Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
This is an example of red oak veneer painted black that I recently finished:

I'd really like to see more photos as well as the appearance Exceeds the WAF. Curious how you managed the exterior joints, etc. and I had always thought this finished result was from a stain: please tell exactly what paint you used (and prep too).

·
Registered
27 Posts
On a similar note but different context, I'm making a decoupling platform for my subwoofers, imitating the design of the SubDudes, and for the top platform on which the sub will stand, I'm wondering which of the two would be better.

In this case, I'm guessing that the better of the two depends on their reflective/absorbing properties. I was told not to use plywood (which I already did - told a little too late) and I'm wondering if that's accurate and if so why? Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
On a similar note but different context, I'm making a decoupling platform for my subwoofers, imitating the design of the SubDudes, and for the top platform on which the sub will stand, I'm wondering which of the two would be better.

In this case, I'm guessing that the better of the two depends on their reflective/absorbing properties. I was told not to use plywood (which I already did - told a little too late) and I'm wondering if that's accurate and if so why? Thanks guys :)
IMHO, what's more important is the foam under the platform. *That* is what's doing the decoupling. The platforms only real purpose is to hold the box and the decoupling foam.

So the question is, what are you using for the foam?

·
Registered
27 Posts
IMHO, what's more important is the foam under the platform. *That* is what's doing the decoupling. The platforms only real purpose is to hold the box and the decoupling foam.

So the question is, what are you using for the foam?
Well, that part I think I've already got figured out but if you'd like to know, I'm putting together these sponges for the bottom two "legs" (two rectangles) and the full second layer. In between each I'll also put in inch thick neoprene, the same dimensions of course. On top will ply 3/4" thick plywood covered by some kind of carpet material. That sound good? :D

I was thinking the reflective properties of the surface the sub is standing on would matter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah? You have a lot of sound coming from the bottom panel of your sub? :rofl2:
Well, one of my subs is downfiring... Plus, some materials might be more susceptible to vibrations so maybe one material could be causing more unnecessary friction over another. I don't know - that's why I'm asking.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks guys. I already made my platforms. I used good plywood because that's what I already had. It's good though and seems to work well. Hopefully it's not too much of a difference either way. I can take a picture if you guys want. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Thanks guys. I already made them though. I used good plywood because that's what I already had. It's good though and seems to work well. Hopefully it's not too much of a difference either way. I can take a picture if you guys want. Thanks again.
Ply is better, but also costs more. If you already have it then use it.:T

61 - 74 of 74 Posts