Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I have been given the task at work :foottap: measure sound level from the fan's on our product to demonstrate to customers using a GUI.

I dont need anything too costly , just a general indicator. I have been looking at the SPL meters but are a little costly.

My plan !!

1.Use REW software > SPL meter > Logger > Db Spl graphed

2.Behringer ECM8000 mic

3.XLR to USB Mic Converter/Mic Preamp (Blue Microphones Icicle)

Am i going down the right road here, or am i way off the mark :spend:

Thanks for any guidance that may come my merry way :whistling:

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Although REW does measure SPL, it must be calibrated to get an accurate measurement. Based on your post, you don't need anything fancy; you'll probably end-up spending more on the items listed than you would on a simple SPL meter.

Check-out these; they are not expensive and should work well for your intended use.

...and welcome to HTS!! :wave:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for you help :wave:

Hope i can interface soud level meter with REW, I will check out pricing of a SLM with some form of usb communications

: )

·
Super Moderator
9,203 Posts

I have been given the task at work :foottap: measure sound level from the fan's on our product to demonstrate to customers using a GUI.
If SPL levels are all you interested in, then you only need a SLM with a line output that can feed a signal directly to REW. The ECM mic, pre-amp etc. is only relevant or necessary if you want to take accurate full-range frequency response measurements.

Now, if you’re interested in the relevant frequencies of the fan noise, and need to plot them, that might be a different story. But even then, a typical C-weighted meter has reasonably flat response from 40 Hz to 3 kHz, which should adequately cover even frequency-specific fan noise. Only if you need greater accuracy above and/or below 40 Hz - 3 kHz do you need to move up to a calibrated mic and associated pre-amp.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Wayne,

For this demonstration for customers the results measured by mic will have to be similar to spec's set out by our documentation.

Our measurments were taken with a SLM meter with A weighting db range from 37-59db for fan noise level.

specific Frequency levels were not really taken into account.

After checking SLM meters i dont think real time analysis can be fed from SLM tru USB to REW software, mabey i am wrong here. I was hoping to avoid anything going tru laptop soundcard.

If i am correct i will go with the ECM8000 and USB to XLR converter, I can use our inhouse SLM to referance ECM8000 and get things generally calibrated.

I have to purchase equipment today so hope i am going the right direction : )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts