Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a measurement, so I click on EQ to smooth with the filters, but, how do I translate these into my DEQ2496? Frequencies easy, but BW60, they don't match, I got em close, it asks for BW60 at 11, I have 10. How do I add the House curve, I keep reading but it don't make sense????

MikeofEngland

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
44 views, what have I done wrong? I did rush, because I'm limited for time, so sorry about that.

I don't see help file for DEQ2496, http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/wizardhelpv5/help_en-GB/html/equaliser.html not listed here. Obviously I have to EQ the peeks and Troughs to try and smooth things out, yeah? Then, build a Housecurve as per http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/96-house-curve-what-why-you-need-how-do.html

So could someone just explain the bandwidth issue and how to build a Housecurve, please.

Thank you

Mike:innocent:

·
Super Moderator
9,338 Posts

“BW 60” – that means you’ve selected the DSP-1124 as the equalizer. That EQ uses that peculiar call-out for bandwidth that no other EQ does. There is no selection for the DEQ, but I’ve heard that you can use the FBQ setting instead. You can play with filters on the REW screen and it will show you predicted response once those filters are dialed into the equalizer. The Hard Knee House Curve includes additional instructions on how to do a house curve in REW.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still not sure about House curve, so I dialled it in using the GEQ function and the above filters PEQ. At the mo, Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon CD, is thumping loudly!
Does that mean music will be bad?
???? :(

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
My BW's are now 0.333 and .0125. The DEQ has 1/10 to 1/2 then 3/4 then 1 then 3/2 then 2 to 8 then 10 then L6 and L12. Help, please!

(A) Bandwidth Concerns : Re; your dilemma when setting the Bandwidths within DEQ2496 .

- Choose the FBQ2496 as your "EQ Filters" type. It'll state the BW of its' filter section in decimal form / unfortunately, that's as close as it'll get for your DEQ unit .

- You must then approximate the FBQs decimated readout into the closest available fraction for your DEQs BW control .
- I suggest that you create a chart of decimal equivalents for the most likely used fractions ( within your DEQs BW menu ) .

Here's a start ;
.100 = 1/10
.125 = 1/8
.1667 = 1/6
.250 = 1/4
.333 = 1/3
.500 = 1/2
.750 = 3/4
1.25 = 1 1/4

- It'll be up to you to find the best fit between what REW says to do / & what your DEQ will actually allow you to enter ( with a limited fractional type interface controlling the BW ) .

- If a tenth of an octave is as narrow as your DEQ goes , then you can't approximate that .0125 Octave filter .
( That is an 1/8 of one tenth, while the best you can do is one tenth I think , so your beat for that choice )

(B) Your Sub Curve :
- I'm not a HT , sub-woofer using guy , but from my vantage point it seems to me that you've over EQed that sub-woofer ( hard to tell though with that mess of lines ) .
- See what you can do with half as many filters / put the filters into manual control .
- Then play around with engaging & disengaging each filter, one at a time, all the while looking at the "filter only" trace to spot the net effect of each filter . You may find that a couple of those filters give only a minor contribution to the overall sound of the bass curve . If you find that, then it's your option as to whether or not you use them .

<> EarlK

ps ; It looks like you figured out the "House Curve" control . Thats Good .

- For most, this is very complicated software / so don't be in a hurry .
- REWs help files are very extensive and as such, those of us who take the time to answer questions like to see it demonstrated that new users have first attempted to comprehend the appropriate help section .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.