Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Oh my gash! ;D We have found the problem. :)

But i have no idea what's causing this problem. My buffer size is at 128, and my latency in cubase is not even noticeable.

So i guess there is nothing wrong with my computer, but my soundcard is ? :eek: Well, i already knew that, but any ideas on how i can fix this? Like i said, i had no problems with latency in cubase.

/ Daniel

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Some of what looks like delay may just be the lack of output at the beginning of the sweep. The first thing to sort out is your mic preamp, which is clipping heavily (hence the flat portion of the captured sweep). You need to back off the mic gain so that it doesn't clip, you may then find the measurement is OK.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
OK, assuming it's not causing a problem, then he should expand the horizontal scale on the end portion of the input (red) signal and look for evidence of clipping. If it is clipping, then the input level should be reduced to remove it. Seems strange to get clipping though, since he originally was using a -18dB signal level... But then I suppose the band limited pink noise in the Check Levels may not have been covering that clipping area. I suspect he must have been using the subwoofer test signal (band 30Hz-80Hz). His measure was from 50Hz-300Hz.

brucek

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
The clipping is in the mic input, not the soundcard, hence the lengthy flat portion at the end of the captured trace. The mic preamp is clipping before the soundcard input, so the soundcard levels will never look excessive but the signal is heavily clipped nonetheless.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well, i do not have any clipping in my mic pre. I monitor it very closely to make sure it was not clipping. The clipping must come from some elsewhere.

Yes brucek, i was using the subwoofer test signal, but i've also tried the full range speaker test signal, but with the same problem.

I am going to format my computer tomorrow, since i now can't even install the proper drivers for my sound card, which makes the card pretty useless at the momemt. I am pretty sure that the fault is in my sound card and not the program anymore. I'm also strongly thinking about buying a new sound card, since Mackies drivers are extremely unstable and unreliable.

I will get back to you with the results if the format worked or not!

Sorry for bad english at the moment, but i'm a little drunk. :)

Have a great evening(or whereever you come from :) )

/ Daniel

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.