Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I wish to measure my speakers and room after the EQ correction which I apply with a VST plugin EQ.
Anybody have a solution on how to do this? In other words, route the measurement signal from REW through a VST host which applies the EQ and sends the mic (UMIK-1) signal back to REW.

So far I've tried doing this by installing Reaper DAW with ReaRoute ASIO driver and setting things up as described above, but somehow the ReaRoute ASIO driver won't work well with REW :( Clipping and digital degredation of the signal, perhaps REW doesn't do 32bit output or it's something else I don't know what but I can't get it to work.
Desperately looking for an alternative way to make this work, already wasted 2 days trying to get it to work with Reaper.
Many thanks for any help / suggestions!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually.. There is already a solution of course.
Record the measurement signals of REW and simply play them back in my DAW through the VST EQ.
Not as nice a solution but I'll try to make it work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can do that with JRiver. It accepts VST plug ins and you can reroute the audio through it but the program is $50 (with a 30 day trial).
Aah you can select JRiver as an output in REW? That would be great yes!
I had just given up while you posted your message haha :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well.. the JRiver path gives me different trouble.
Wasapi loopback doesn't give me the option to select anything, it takes the default windows output which isn't bit perfect (windows does resampling and bad volume processing if i'm correct).
And now if I try to mute my laptop speakers (default output) then my laptop doesn't mute anymore but the JRiver output to my DAC does mute? Same with volume. Strange..
Other than that JRiver is a bloated piece of software that's constantly trying to scan my HD etc.

Thanks for the suggestion though!
But I'm going with the recorded noise and sweeps and playing them in my DAW manually method.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried Audacity, it has a nicer implementation of Wasapi loopback, but before I could try to use a VST while "recoring" I found a nicer solution.

Virtual Audio Cable (VAC).
Works perfectly and lets you send audio in perfect quality to any application (like a DAW / VST host).
Thought I'd leave the info here in case anybody else stumbles on this thread trying to do the same as me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Aah you can select JRiver as an output in REW? That would be great yes!
I had just given up while you posted your message haha :)
The latest version of JRiver has it's own wdm audio driver which will work like that. It's buggy for some (including myself, but I can get it to work for measurements).

The loopback method works just fine when setup correctly. This is what I normally use. The wdm and loopback yield an identical impulse when I do a physical cable loopback of the system with no eq.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tried Audacity, it has a nicer implementation of Wasapi loopback, but before I could try to use a VST while "recoring" I found a nicer solution.

Virtual Audio Cable (VAC).
Works perfectly and lets you send audio in perfect quality to any application (like a DAW / VST host).
Thought I'd leave the info here in case anybody else stumbles on this thread trying to do the same as me.
thank you for the info !

stupid question:

are you using the EQ in your DAW to calibrate your speakers for DAW usage ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you for the info !

stupid question:

are you using the EQ in your DAW to calibrate your speakers for DAW usage ?
Not at all stupid question :)
Yes using it to calibrate my speakers for DAW usage (Cockos Reaper), and also for general music listening using Foobar2000.
Works well, I simply put an EQ on the main bus as an effect insert. Only limitation for DAW use is that I need low latency so I can't use linear phase EQ, but other than that no problems / limitations.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not at all stupid question :)
Yes using it to calibrate my speakers for DAW usage (Cockos Reaper), and also for general music listening using Foobar2000.
Works well, I simply put an EQ on the main bus as an effect insert. Only limitation for DAW use is that I need low latency so I can't use linear phase EQ, but other than that no problems / limitations.
thank you, I'm absolutely new to this so another stupid question :)

so instead of room treatment one could use the EQ to calibrate the speakers output to work specifically for the room ?

or is the EQ workflow on top of room treatment ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you, I'm absolutely new to this so another stupid question :)

so instead of room treatment one could use the EQ to calibrate the speakers output to work specifically for the room ?

or is the EQ workflow on top of room treatment ?
EQ is on top of room treatment.
You cannot fix a bad room with EQ!
Only thing you can do with EQ relative to the room sound is EQ in overall rough flatness in frequency and EQ out peaks due to room (but you can't EQ out with boost any "dips" in frequency due to room cancellation / resonances well).

Btw, I'm using EQ mostly to EQ flat the direct sound of my speakers which are home built as a better alternative to electronic correction filters.

Room treatment and speaker - listening spot placement is whole different story..

·
Registered
8 Posts
EQ is on top of room treatment.
You cannot fix a bad room with EQ!
Only thing you can do with EQ relative to the room sound is EQ in overall rough flatness in frequency and EQ out peaks due to room (but you can't EQ out with boost any "dips" in frequency due to room cancellation / resonances well).

Btw, I'm using EQ mostly to EQ flat the direct sound of my speakers which are home built as a better alternative to electronic correction filters.

Room treatment and speaker - listening spot placement is whole different story..
thank you, that makes sense.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Btw, if I can give you one tip that if it's a possibility for you will save a lot of room trouble..
Soffit mount!
Preferably in corners if your room dimensions and listening spot allow this.
Soffit mounting will save you a world of trouble in the bass and is extremely cost effective compared to the extra treatment needed to get good bass from free standing speakers (which won't get as good even then).
And if you happen to listen to electronic music / modern hit music etc, bass is the most important thing to get right. It's the foundation. Get the bass wrong and a lot of perfectly good music will sound harsh or wrong in other ways.
Free standing speakers, including nearfield monitors, will just about always have strong reflections giving dips in the bass, even in otherwise well treated rooms. Even the floor reflection can be enough to give a dip in the bass. It's extremely hard to make any room "anechoic" in the bass. And as said before, you can't fix phase cancelation dips with EQ very well.
Soffit mounting in corners will take care of most direct reflections in the bass making the rest of the treatment much easier (only truly deep bass trap left needed is the wall behind listening spot, and other than that some normal broadband panels on side walls and a cloud) and the end result better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts