Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know the distance from the mic to the speaker should be 1 meter, now is that 1 meter from the front of the speaker cabinet? Or 1 meter from the horn or the drivers mouth??? This measurement should be performed on speaker at a time to see what both speakers are doing correct? The after making adjustments to get both speakers doing the same thing then measure from the listening position..

·
1,662 Posts
If you are measuring the speakers native response, yes 1m from baffle.
Generally speaking, this should need no EQ. However no laws are broken doing so, so if it pleases your ears...
At the LP, you will be measuring both with room effects included. Again, generally speaking, you should only EQ below 400hz or so. Mainly cutting any large peaks...but be aware that applies to the position where the mic is. This means you've created a hole somewhere else...which may not matter unless you sit there also.

cheers

·
1,662 Posts
The front wall of speaker enclosure is considered the baffle, where the drivers are usually mounted.
So for example, with a 6" 2 way, you would place the mic 1m from baffle/front plane of speaker, height of mic pointed between the bottom edge of tweeter and upper edge of woofer. That should give you a decent idea of the speakers native response, using quasi-anechoic measurements as you are doing. Good enough for Gov work ;-)

cheers

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok AJ thanks, now my drivers are about 24" from the baffles. So I should move the mic closer to get to one meter correct?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your drivers should be mounted in the baffles, aka, front face of loudspeaker. Mic should be around 36" away
AJ to clarify I have klipsch corner horns and the actual driver is all the way to the back the horn is very long, so do I measure from the horn where it meets the baffle? Or from the drivers voice coil?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts