Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Do you think it's possible to measure the FR of a connected 3-heads analog tape deck with REW? The returning audio would have a slight delay, is REW able to cope with this delay and present valid results?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Would it not be better to simply record a frequency sweep onto a tape and then simply play it back while analyzing it with REW?
The other issue is the recording quality would all be dependent on the type of tape you use. Metal VS Chrome VS normal will give you varying results.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi! I did some measurements. Using the soundcard calibration function as a way to do the test, I was able to produce a graph that more or less agrees with what I hear with actual music on the machine.

What I wonder is if the graph horizontal position is indicative of the actual frequency being measured at any point in time. I measure an open reel tape machine, the record and play heads are about 1.25 inche appart, so the latency must be around 160 ms at the 7.5 inches per second tape speed. Which would be like 160 feet distance between speakers and test microphone in a real acoustical measurement. Is REW considering the latency while measuring?

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.